Onterrio Smith playing after all???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Onterrio Smith playing after all????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Onterrio Smith playing after all????

Postby ffltank » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:36 am

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Onterrio Smith could start the first few games of the season while appealing his drug suspension.
Very interesting. The Minnesota coaches have publicly talked about Moe Williams starting, but it could be a smoke screen. Under league rules, Smith will not serve his suspension until his appeal is heard. It's unclear when that will be, although Minnesota papers thought it would be this week. Stay tuned. Sep. 1 - 7:52 pm et

Got that off Rotoworld. Does this warrant a pickup from FA just in case?
Last edited by ffltank on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ffltank
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:42 am

Vikings | Smith's Status to be Determined Soon - from http://www.KFFL.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:15:16 -0700

The Star-Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings RB Onterrio Smith's status could be announced as early as Friday, Sept. 3. He's appealing a four-game suspension for violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

That is the latest update I have seen with an exact date. I would wait in this one. Not many appeals are granted for a 3 time loser.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wizbang » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:01 am

For Vikings, is Mewelde Moore in the mix at all?
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:04 am

I have this guy as my 5th RB.

If he plays the first few games, is he trade bait a Bennett owner? I know I can't expect much, but what do you think?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:06 am

wizbang wrote:For Vikings, is Mewelde Moore in the mix at all?

I believe he will see some carries if both Bennett and Smith are out for the first game or two, but overall, I think Moe Williams will see the majority of the action... Now, if Minnesota gets into those games and gets up by 20 points, M & M could see some decent action late in those games...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:19 am

Tice doesnt want to start Moore, b/c he is a rookie and isnt very good at picking up his blocking assignments

Normally, I would say, 'well its Tice, so who knows' but he did the same thing last year and started Moe over O. Smith
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:28 am

Flux wrote:

Tice doesnt want to start Moore, b/c he is a rookie and isnt very good at picking up his blocking assignments

Normally, I would say, 'well its Tice, so who knows' but he did the same thing last year and started Moe over O. Smith

Flux and PLindsey have pretty much covered it. I think Moore has a ton of upside but is a rookie and is still learning the NFL and the Vikings playbook. Tice will not hang any of his players and put in a RB that hasn't learned his blocking assignments properly.

Moe should be the feature back for the first 4 games with Moore spelling him and possibly in a blow out Moore could get carries. His worth right now is minimal. Bennett is still the man in Minny. Smith will be the first of these 4 to get dealt. Mr. Tice has some issues with them pot smokers.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aussieboy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:29 am

This is interesting.

Vikings prob just appeal to delay the ban, until Bennett gets back.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:33 am

Whats the latest on Bennett? I heard yesterday on a talk-radio show that he may be out until October, but the guy didn't cite a source. Anybody have any info on how long he will be out?
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aussieboy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:36 am

i heard missing around a month that was a week or so ago. So could be out anywhere between week 1-3.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk