After Moss WR Depth - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

After Moss WR Depth

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:09 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think you guys are completely wrong. Holt > Harrison.

Last yr was not a career yr for Holt - it was a trend shift. He will get those type of numbers again this yr. The Oline issues are being blown way out of porportion. The real stat you should concern yourself with is passes thrown to. Bulger will go to Holt over and over this yr - just like last yr. Holt leads the entire NFL in passes thrown to. Was last yr a fluke or career yr? no way - he WILL reapeat unless he gets injured.

If you want to talk about a career yr - look at Harrison in 2002.

This will be the last yr people are even discussing whether or not Harrison should be taken ahead of Holt.

Beatiful :-)

I noticed you have been saying this is the last year for a lot of things.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

make sense

Postby Playmakr#1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:17 pm

i think u guys r underating holt. holt has always had strong seasons just never the TD`s to back it up. now he did and added more yards because bruce is no longer tha man. What is holding him back this year? he ahs bulger who loves to throw to him. now harrison is 32 not getting better, failed to reach 100 receptions last year, and has to share with two good TE and edge. I know holt has to share also. I guess there is no def. number 2 its just opinion. but after number 4 it gets intresting.
Playmakr#1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby tman570 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:21 pm

dans wrote:Personally I'd take TO ahead of Holt.

Moss
Harrison
Owens
Holt

I would rank them the exact same way with Ward as my #5.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bwzabodyn » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:22 pm

I'm kinda with Cornbread on this one (but not entirely) - I think that the Rams are phasing Bruce out more and more each year and Holt will see a similar number of passes thrown his way, but the quality of those passes will not be what they were last year - Bulger will be rushed often and hurry throws to Holt being double-covered all day... I think he'll still get the yards, but won't come close to matching those ever-important TD's...
Formerly bzabodyn (over 1000 posts) - but I was deactivated!!! Poop on you!!!
bwzabodyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Turnip » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:31 pm

Last yr was not a career yr for Holt - it was a trend shift. He will get those type of numbers again this yr. The Oline issues are being blown way out of porportion. The real stat you should concern yourself with is passes thrown to. Bulger will go to Holt over and over this yr - just like last yr. Holt leads the entire NFL in passes thrown to. Was last yr a fluke or career yr? no way - he WILL reapeat unless he gets injured.

This will be the last yr people are even discussing whether or not Harrison should be taken ahead of Holt.

It might seem like it on these boards, but you aren't alone. I have Harrison and Holt as essentially tied for #2 receiver. Well behind Moss, but well above Ward/TO/Chad
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:44 pm

Plindsey88 wrote: the difference between Harrison and Wayne is MUCH greater than the difference between Holt and Bruce...

I really disagree with this. I assume we are talking talent wise, and im pretty sure Holt is more talented than Harrison. If you watch Reggie Wayne play, i dont think there is a big difference between him and bruce, id probably rather have Wayne. Therefore i think the difference between Holt and Bruce is about the same as that of Harrison and Wayne
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ferris182 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:45 pm

Moss
Harrison
TO
Holt
Chad Johnson
Ward
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby awwchrist » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:49 pm

I love CJ as much as the next guy, but you can't dismiss how solid of a fantasy player Ward is to put CJ over him.

CJ who's had 1 good year.

CJ who has a new QB.

Ward has absolutely no knocks on him whatsoever. There's no way I'd pick CJ ahead of Ward...not this season.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:32 am

IRON CHEF wrote:

Beatiful :-)

I noticed you have been saying this is the last year for a lot of things.
If all things were equal coming into this year than I think Holt would be slightly ahead of Harrison because of age and offense. However, things really aren't. Dismiss the O-line problems if you will, but that's a huge issue I believe. If you've heard talk recently between Martz and Pace, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't be sitting out regular season games at this point. Bottom line is, if you don't have time to throw the ball, it doesn't matter how many times you are targetted.

As for Harrison and his numbers next year, that all hinges on his contract status. If he's back with the Colts, I personally don't see his numbers dropping off terribly. I see him becoming Jerry Rice-esque, continuing to produce.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:44 am

You're right, after Santana there is a big drop off.

But seriously, I see it like this:

In a league of his own...
Randy Moss

Lonely second tier...
Marvin Harrison

Third tier...
Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Hines Ward

Fourth Tier...
Chad Johnson, Joe Horn

Fifth Tier...
Derrick Mason, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson

After that, it's a mess, but I like Lavernues Coles as a sort of sleeper (can he qualify as a sleeper) to move into the top twelve of fantasy receivers. I also like Javon Walker to break out, and think Porter and Toomer could have good solid years despite QB uncertainties.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk