Compensation Picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Compensation Picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Compensation Picks

Postby Roseman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:24 pm

Hey does anyone know how this works in the NFL? For example the Eagles are getting the 131st pick overall(4th round) because they lost Trottier to free agency. I know it isnt the Redskins pick it is just an extra pick
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Re: Compensation Picks

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:31 pm

Roseman wrote:Hey does anyone know how this works in the NFL? For example the Eagles are getting the 131st pick overall(4th round) because they lost Trottier to free agency. I know it isnt the Redskins pick it is just an extra pick

I'm not sure how it all works Rosey. Are you sure it's not the Skins 4th round pick to the Eagles as compensation for losing Trottier? I was under the impression that's how it worked. For instance if you had a restricted FA on your team who signed with another, then your team would get a 1st or 2nd rounder from that team as compensation. I'd be happy to know how this all works too. Anyone?
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:37 pm

No I am positive it wasnt the Redskins pick the Eagles are just compensatied for the loss of a player VIA FREE AGENCY by the NFL I was just wondering why they get compensated and what are the criteria for getting to pick.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6274929

this is the articule that lists who gets what but the question is why?
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:26 pm

Ok let me ask you this: Did the Skins lose the #13 spot to the Jets for signing Coles? I've read around on the Vikes message board on ESPN and that's what everybody says. Just curious
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:08 pm

yes they did but only because coles was a restricted free agent. trotter was an unresticted free agent so the league granted the eagles that pick, it was never washingtons. i dont know how they decide what picks to award to who tho.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:40 pm

thats weird :-/
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:19 pm

I have always wondered about this too. I know someone here at the cafe will go ferrett around and find us the facts.....wont they ? :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby thelongestyard » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:36 pm

COMPENSATORY DRAFT SELECTIONS: Compensation awarded by the NFL to teams who lost more unrestricted free agent players (UFA's) than they signed. All compensation is in the form of additional draft picks that are added to the end of rounds three through seven, in the NFL draft. To determine the number of compensatory draft picks a team is entitled to, the league determines the equivalent difference in the number of unrestricted free agent players signed compared to the number of players lost. The determining factor in the value of compensatory draft picks obtained is based on the contracts signed by the players acquired and players lost in the unrestricted free agency process. The highest possible compensatory pick begins with the last selection in the third round of the draft.

Yep. Does this cover it????
thelongestyard
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:42 am

thelongestyard wrote:
COMPENSATORY DRAFT SELECTIONS: Compensation awarded by the NFL to teams who lost more unrestricted free agent players (UFA's) than they signed. All compensation is in the form of additional draft picks that are added to the end of rounds three through seven, in the NFL draft. To determine the number of compensatory draft picks a team is entitled to, the league determines the equivalent difference in the number of unrestricted free agent players signed compared to the number of players lost. The determining factor in the value of compensatory draft picks obtained is based on the contracts signed by the players acquired and players lost in the unrestricted free agency process. The highest possible compensatory pick begins with the last selection in the third round of the draft.

Yep. Does this cover it????

That covers it. I wish they would write it more for a layman such as myself, although I understand it...I think :-)
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kashikis » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:24 am

great explaination guys i understood how the restricted free agent signings worked but was totally clear on the UFAs.

thanks guys
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk