I'm staying away from Westbrook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'm staying away from Westbrook

Moderator: Football Moderators

I'm staying away from Westbrook

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:46 pm

I don’t understand why Westbrook is being drafted as high as he is going.

During Reid’s tenure in Philly here are the rushing leaders:

2003 Westbrook 613 - 7
2002 Staley 1029 - 5
2001 Staley 604 - 2
2000 McNabb 629 - 6
1999 Staley 1273 - 4

And was even worse under Rhodes. Is it something about Philly? They have a balanced attack and a mobile QB.

What in Westbrook’s past makes people believe that he is the man to change the status quo in Philly?

I don’t believe that Westbrook is worthy of a second round pick.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

re:

Postby Scania22 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:53 pm

I'm with you. He is a good back, but with a track record like they have in Philly and under coach Reid .. it seems unrealistic to expect 2nd round numbers.

And at the same time, in Carolina you have a proven 1300+ yard rusher in a proven ball control offense - and Stephen Davis is splipping into 4th and 5th rounds.

doesn't make alotta sense
Scania22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Main Event » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:54 pm

You gotta keep in mind that the past couple years they have had rb's splitting carries. With Westbrook gettin the bulk of the load he is gonna be a 1000+ yard rusher who catches alot of passes as well. It looks like 1 rb is finally gonna get the bulk of the work so we will see if the numbers improve, and i think they will.
Main Event
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:57 pm

I dont think he should go in the 2nd round, but he's worthy of being your #2 RB easily. He should almost always be available in the 3rd round, if you're lucky the 4th. That way you pick up a guy like Harrison or Holt, or a stud QB in the 2nd and still get a guy who is as likely to succeed as a #2 RB as Rudi, Henry, Barlow, and the other 2nd round RBs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:58 pm

The reason you want him is because he's now the main option there. Those last few years you listed were ones where Philadelphia used 2 if not 3 RB's. So, all of their yards were split. The tell-tale stat is total yardage. They had 2015 total rushing yards last year. Give McNabb 500 of those, and give Westbrooke 80% of the rest (giving Mahe or whoever else the other 20%), and you have 1200 yards. That's pretty dang good for a #2. Plus, he will get plenty of yards through the air and TD's to boot!

I wouldn't mind getting Westbrook at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd!
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:00 pm

yea look at the TOTAL backfield stats out of reid last year and tell me that isn't a back you would want. Obvisouly, westbrook won't do that, but if you counted them as an elite backm -- 2015 rush yards and around 25 td's. no thanks on that ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:15 pm

Thanks, you make good points.

I think that 2 things you can say about the Eagles under Reid is that the ball will be spread around and the RB doesn't get a lot of TDs especially with McNabb, LJ Smith, Chad Lewis etc to steal the goalline TDs.

He is the man in Philly but I have my doubts about his ability to be a workhorse. I guess we shall see - but I am still staying away.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodonut » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:20 pm

the only person who will be taking away red-zone scoring opportunities from westbrook will be TO. IMHO 1200rsh, 300rec & 10 total tds are what westbrook will be good for
prodonut
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

re:

Postby Scania22 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:23 pm

You guys are assuming that the committee in Philly the past few years was primarily because of the depth they had. Its possible that it was more because Reid and his staff believes in the committee approach.

Mahe has been getting alotta action this preseason. And didn't they just add Levins?

Don't be suprised if Philly's rushing duties aren split up more than you expect.
Scania22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:especially with McNabb, LJ Smith, Chad Lewis etc to steal the goalline TDs.

Since when do Smith and Lewis, and all of their 2 COMBINED td's last year stealing goalline TD's?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk