Onterrio Smith cleared to play Week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Onterrio Smith cleared to play Week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Onterrio Smith cleared to play Week 1

Postby nsulham » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:27 pm

Smith’s appeal of suspension will allow him to play
By Jason Williams
Knight Ridder Newspapers
(KRT)
SEATTLE — The Minnesota Vikings can relax a bit about their running-back situation.
Onterrio Smith will get to play at least in the Sept. 12 regular-season opener against Dallas because the NFL is not expected to make a decision on his appeal of a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy until after Minnesota begins the regular season, a person with knowledge of the situation said Thursday night.
That person said the decision likely would be made sometime before the Vikings’ second game, at Philadelphia on Sept. 20.
This should quell some of coach Mike Tice’s concerns about his depth at running back. Starter Michael Bennett is expected to miss the Dallas game with a sprained right knee but almost certainly will return to play against Philadelphia.
Smith is Bennett’s primary backup.
Perhaps an indication that the Vikings are preparing for Smith to play in the opener is that the second-year pro played on the Vikings’ first possession in Thursday night’s exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks at Qwest Field. Smith was the fourth-string running back in last Friday’s exhibition victory over San Francisco, not entering the game until late in the third quarter.
Last week Tice selected veteran Moe Williams the starter for the Dallas game. Whether Smith will get the nod now is uncertain. But the former University of Oregon standout will bolster a running game that would have had to rely heavily on the aging Williams and on promising but unproven rookie Mewelde Moore in the opener.
Smith led NFC rookies with 579 yards rushing last season.
———
(c) 2004, St. Paul Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.).
Visit the World Wide Web site of the Pioneer Press at http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/
Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan04 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:34 pm

Too bad, I planned to use Moe Williams as a starter up until now.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cooleyhigh » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:37 pm

AARRGGHH!!! I had picked up Moe :-[ What the crap is he going to appeal? It was second hand smoke man...every time I failed the tests. C'mon NFL. Do not go the way of baseball and let a player appeal simply to play in a big series or let a pitcher get his start before he starts serving. BUNK!!!
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Commish » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 pm

Great news ;-D

Hopefully when he runs for 100+ yards in Week 1, the next time Bennett goes down, Onterrio will never again relinquish the job.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:51 pm

The_Commish wrote:Great news ;-D

Hopefully when he runs for 100+ yards in Week 1, the next time Bennett goes down, Onterrio will never again relinquish the job.

um...they are playing DAL you know. I honestly dont think Smith will do a whole lot
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Commish » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:55 pm

Flux wrote:
The_Commish wrote:Great news ;-D

um...they are playing DAL you know. I honestly dont think Smith will do a whole lot

Yes I know. That's why they play the game....

I'd take Onterrio vs. any defense in the NFL running in the dome behind that line.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canacuna » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:31 am

...Go Vikes? :-o

I don't know what to make of Minnesota's backfield. It seems like Onterrio is in Mike Tice's dog house, but he did look pretty good last year... as did Moe. Tice seems to like using Moe on special teams/third down/goal line situations, though. I could see this being a pretty muddled RBBC with Onterrio/Moe/Moore until Michael Bennett returns.

I'll be avoiding Minnesota's backfield... it looks like a fantasy mess to The 'Cuna.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:24 am

Just dropped Q Morgan and picked up the O man from WW. Urggh! I'm with you- the Vikes backfield looks a mess. I picked up the STeal of the Draft to lock out the team who has Benett.

Robert Smith- where are ye?
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aussieboy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:56 am

I drafted this guy pretty late in the MIKL. Id still be pretty nervous about starting him though, I just dont trust Tice and what hes gonna do.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kvamp123 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:43 am

if Onterio were on waivers though would you pick him up??
kvamp123
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk