Another good Watts article - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another good Watts article

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another good Watts article

Postby Shockers » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:53 am

By Greg Kellogg, Special to SI.com

An awful lot of people were predicting the demise of standout WR Rod Smith stating that this would finally be Ashley Lelie's year. But after a lackluster preseason where he has caught all of two passes for 23 yards, I am thinking Smith might just be replaced by rookie Darrius Watts (more on him later).

.... If Lelie doesn't impress in Denver, don't be terribly surprised if Watts does. At 6-feet-2 and 188 pounds he reminds some of fellow Marshall alumnus Randy Moss. His 17.1 ypc in the preseason is certainly Moss-like. And he leads all Denver receivers with 13 catches (222 yards) despite less than stellar play from the quarterbacks.

.... So while this points to a banner year for Plummer, the hidden truth is he will have to have a target for those passes and Watts has been the best Bronco receiver thus far this year. As Anquan Boldin proved last year, even rookies, given the opportunity, can produce in the NFL.

Greg Kellogg is a co-owner of the Fantasy Asylum, a member of the Professional Football Writers of America and the Fantasy Sports Writers of America trade associations, and has been writing about fantasy football on a national stage since 1996.

I am liking this kid more and more. For a guy that goes undrafted in most leagues, he is definitely worth a late round pick up!
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:12 am

Another Watts thread 8-o I have the feeling he will turn out to be nothing. He is just being way-overhyped now IMO.
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:18 am

Its hard to argue numbers. leading preseason isnt much but it is something...Considering Lelie and R smiths recent numbers the past few seasons...Jumping ahead on the depth chart is a very good possibility...Rod Smith will be tougher to overcome than lelie for sure, though...Dont forget watts numbers are padded by second string numbers...Still he has good numbers with the first team read the play-by-play for the last couple games.

Im giving him a decent chance...
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:42 am

watts not playing tonight in Denver's final pre season game says a lot what the coaches think of him... ;-D
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:54 am

Members have you noticed how a lot of quality players are not playing tonight, a week before the season starts.actually all of todays(friday) final pre-season game. :-o

its kinda weird, years past all the good starters get massive playing time in the last preseason game. NOT THIS YEAR.

Considering over 50+ players have been Relegated to IR and over 100+ minor injuries. I completely understand why coaches are being extremely careful with who they play in this final pre-season game. PROTECTING THEIR ASSETS like Watts, possibly,yes.

Another thing your arguement is EXTREMELY FAULTED!!!members jacket only.

ROD SMITH and Lelie(hamstring) both didnt play along with watts,and Quinttin Griffin your argument has absolutely zero validation. Read the stat sheet again. nice doing business with
you. ;-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shockers » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:32 am

GB Packer Fan 2004 wrote:Another Watts thread 8-o I have the feeling he will turn out to be nothing. He is just being way-overhyped now IMO.

you know packer fan, you just might be right. i am in a lot of deep leagues this year. one of them has 9 bench spots (18 rounds in a 12 team league) and watts still went undrafted. what does it hurt to take a guy that everyone is talking about with your last pick?

imo it doesn't because if he turns out to be nothing, you can drop him and pick up someone off the ww. nothing hurt because it was your last pick anyway. but if he does live up to the hype, you could have that extra guy that helps you get deeper into the playoff run. he's a sleeper pick, nothing more than that right now.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:09 am

I am not banking on Watts to do anything, there is a good chance he won't even see much playing time this year, besides he is just a rookie.

But shockers I agree with you, whats wrong with taking a late rd flier on him??

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk