Should I Draft a QB sooner? 1in20 all yds, 6pts all TDs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I Draft a QB sooner? 1in20 all yds, 6pts all TDs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should I Draft a QB sooner? 1in20 all yds, 6pts all TDs

Postby OB2kenobi » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:29 am

I draft 10th in a 12 team yahoo league.

Passing, Rushing, and Recieving are all 1 point every 20 yards.
And all touchdowns are worth 6 points.
1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1D 1K

It seems to me that this gives QB a pretty big point advantage compared to standard FF rules. I was wondering If I should go RB,QB instead of the usual RB,RB when drafting my first 2 picks. If not about what round do you think I should take a QB?

Thanks.

BTW: This is my first year playing Fantasy Football, and I have to say this site seriously rocks and has been a great help in learning the game.
OB2kenobi Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby East Bay Ray » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:13 am

Well, if a QB in your league gets 6 pts for passing and rushing TDs, I would think a guy like Culpepper and Manning would have huge value.

If you have the 10th pick and Culpepper is there, IMO, I would take him.
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby aussieboy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:30 am

Well id prob take Manning or Culpepper after the top 6 RB are gone.

A good game by a RB, say 100 yards + 1TD would= 11 points

A good game by a QB, say 300 yards + 2TD would=27 points

Manning and Cpepp are damn valuable.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Tyr » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:43 am

If it's a 1 for 20 situation across the board, QBs are by far the most valuable players on the board. If you don't get CPep or Manning on your first, salvage with Green a bit later, or any other QB you have in the 4k yards passing ballpark.

Avoid Vick. The man has no accuracy. 600 yards rushing won't help you much when you're losing out on a good 1200 yards passing.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby roninmedia » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:44 am

I would still take RB early and take a Culpepper or Manning in the second if they are there. Trent Green is a very good late option. 4000+ passing yards and 20+ TDs.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:45 am

I'm not sure. You have to ask yourself who's gonna be there at #10. IMO, stud RB's go about 7-8 deep (depending on your rankings and scoring system) before you hit the 2nd tier. At that point you get into the world of Brian Westbrook's, Fred Taylor's and Corey Dillon's. Don't get me wrong, they're great players, but given your scoring system, I think I'd rather go with Culpepper or Manning.

Considering you will likely be able to get a RB of equal value on the snake-around at #15, I'd consider going after a stud QB at #10. I'm sure others would disagree.

Good luck.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:11 am

The idea that a certain position like QB will score more than usual due to a scoring system change like you are talking about DOES NOT DRASTICALLY CHANGE THEIR VALUE.

All QBS score more in your system. Therefore there is still no clear advantage to get one early. The value QBs will still be taken in the 4th rd or later.

Position scarcity still determines draft order. If you had to start 2 QBs, then yes, you should target them earlier than normal because the difference between the #1QB and the #20 QB is pretty big, but the difference between the #1 QB and the #10 QB is relatively small.

WAIT ON YOUR QB.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:18 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The idea that a certain position like QB will score more than usual due to a scoring system change like you are talking about DOES NOT DRASTICALLY CHANGE THEIR VALUE.

All QBS score more in your system. Therefore there is still no clear advantage to get one early. The value QBs will still be taken in the 4th rd or later.

Position scarcity still determines draft order. If you had to start 2 QBs, then yes, you should target them earlier than normal because the difference between the #1QB and the #20 QB is pretty big, but the difference between the #1 QB and the #10 QB is relatively small.

WAIT ON YOUR QB.

;-D

Thank you CBM!

This change will slightly increase the value of a QB.....but only slightly. The main problem will still be position scarcity at RB.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Dub-Dub » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:20 am

Cornbread speak-eth the truth.

Would you rather Culpepper and Henry and Martin or would you rather McAlister Henry and McNabb (assuming the first three rounds of a draft, but I'd probably wait another 1 or two and get Farve or Green or Pennington)
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:31 am

I totally agree with the Cornbread on this one-
Not too many RB's out there-
I would still wait until the third or 4th round at the highest to grab one-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach