Should I Draft a QB sooner? 1in20 all yds, 6pts all TDs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I Draft a QB sooner? 1in20 all yds, 6pts all TDs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:54 am

Yep, I ran this through 2 of my friends last week. Seems like everyone and their brother wants Manning because "he's the best QB."

When talking about points, the first guy said, "Well, just make the QB's worth more." That doesn't work because as the "Continental Ballistic Missile" said, all of them will score more, and the difference between the point totals will still be less than that of the 1st and 12th RB. I told him, "Fantasy leagues don't give out 'Peyton Manning' bonus points just because he's Manning; since they all score the same way, the difference will always be the same."

The other was mad because he says he "shouldn't have to take Dom Davis ahead of Peyton Manning." I said, if that's the way you think and you want Manning that soon, go right ahead and do it (since he's in my league). :-b The reason you can wait is because of scarcity. Now he realizes the only way to make QB's significantly worth more is to have a 2 QB league to make them scarce. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bwzabodyn » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:30 am

Buckychudd wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The idea that a certain position like QB will score more than usual due to a scoring system change like you are talking about DOES NOT DRASTICALLY CHANGE THEIR VALUE.

All QBS score more in your system. Therefore there is still no clear advantage to get one early. The value QBs will still be taken in the 4th rd or later.

Position scarcity still determines draft order. If you had to start 2 QBs, then yes, you should target them earlier than normal because the difference between the #1QB and the #20 QB is pretty big, but the difference between the #1 QB and the #10 QB is relatively small.

WAIT ON YOUR QB.

Damn straight... hit the nail squarely on the head...
Formerly bzabodyn (over 1000 posts) - but I was deactivated!!! Poop on you!!!
bwzabodyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:47 am

word up to cornbread
"It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labor of calculation, which could be safely relegated to anyone else if machines were used." - Leibniz
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OB2kenobi » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:56 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:When talking about points, the first guy said, "Well, just make the QB's worth more." That doesn't work because as the "Continental Ballistic Missile" said, all of them will score more, and the difference between the point totals will still be less than that of the 1st and 12th RB. I told him, "Fantasy leagues don't give out 'Peyton Manning' bonus points just because he's Manning; since they all score the same way, the difference will always be the same."

The other was mad because he says he "shouldn't have to take Dom Davis ahead of Peyton Manning." I said, if that's the way you think and you want Manning that soon, go right ahead and do it (since he's in my league). :-b The reason you can wait is because of scarcity. Now he realizes the only way to make QB's significantly worth more is to have a 2 QB league to make them scarce. :-)

Haha "Peyton Manning bonus points".

Okay thanks for talking some sense into me guys. Thats a good point. I guess I'll wait on the QB.
OB2kenobi Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk