So is James Jackson the heir-apparent in Miami or what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So is James Jackson the heir-apparent in Miami or what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

So is James Jackson the heir-apparent in Miami or what?

Postby Doughhead » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 am

See subject line.

Is this deal gonna get done or no? Any thoughts?

It seems like with Mike Anderson now out of contention for the Miami job and Travis Minor and Sammy Morris looking like, well...Travis Minor and Sammy Morris, does Miami have a choice hear or what? Plus, with J. Jackson already voicing his displeasure behind Suggs and Green in Cleveland, and it seems like there is a recipe for a trade here. Combine all this with the fact that Dave Wannestedt's head is on a platter, Jackson runs kinda like Ricky, and the team's don't seem that far apart on compensation (third vs. fourth round pick) and it looks like this could be a bona fide trade rumour.
Doughhead
Doughhead
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby proKrastinate » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:08 am

im not sure but i think this topic has been run once or twice already. However, without replying to either of them before ill state my case here.

I dont think Miami will go for a RB now. They will run a RBBC and try to work a passing game with Booker, Chambers, and perhaps Freeman. James Jackson to me just doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyone running behind that o-line is going to underperform unless it was an elite runningback. considering that a few key fa's will be available next year (edge) I believe they will hold out on a rb
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Diablo13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:09 am

I think the James trade could happen.

But first Wannstadt is trying to make a deal happen in Pitt. He would love to get Bettis, would try for Haynes is that fell through, and would settle for Jackson as a last resort.

That is my unsubstatitated opinion.
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:15 am

From what I read, it sounded like the real hitch comes from Cleveland probably wanting more than Miami is willing to offer. Miami will just limp through the season and hope for the best come draft time next year. Maybe they'll land Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Commish » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:15 am

Raise your hand if you're tired of repeated James Jackson threads ;-D

There are 3-4 other threads on him. I'd love to have him go to Miami as he'd give me at least a 3rd/4th option at RB (even if a relatively poor one).
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:17 am

In my opinion, it won't happen. Butch is stubborn. He wants nothing less than a 3rd round pick. He feels Jackson is more valuable to him as the 3rd RB than a 4th rd pick or worse. I agree with the logic. James Jackson though is very unhappy. While he apparently is in the best shape of his life, he's still just an average back.

I agree the Dolphins will just play it out and see how Minor, etc, do and probably just become a passing team. Then they'll make a run at Edge this offseason (thats a perfect fit.)
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:20 am

RBBC with what they have- I heard that they may bring back Lamar Smith if NO drops him-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby runricky » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:54 am

Butch wants a 3rd rounder in return, which is way too much...if they can't get someone cheap then i would just wait and endure this long upcoming season, that is unless the passing game is on fire...bottom line wait for the EDGE next year!!
runricky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PBRmeASAP » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:15 pm

So is Lamar Smith worth taking a flyer on?

I have Kevin Faulk of the mysterious knee injury as my 4 RB in a deep league. Should I drop him and hope Smith ends up in Miami? If our league wasn't a point per catch Faulk would be nearly useless anyway. Smith at least has the potential to end up as a starter.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Diablo13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:59 pm

runricky wrote:Butch wants a 3rd rounder in return, which is way too much...if they can't get someone cheap then i would just wait and endure this long upcoming season, that is unless the passing game is on fire...bottom line wait for the EDGE next year!!

I would love nothing more than to see the Edge in Miami. BUt what about Ricky returning next year? I bet he has a lot more gettin' high between now and then, so he might change his mind a couple hundred times.

Even if the Edge does make that transition next year, thing are bad for the phins in all areas. Say next year Edge comes in, it will likely come after Wannstedt is fired and has to learn a new system with the rest of the team. Next years draft will likely focus on the O-line again (or better next time) forsaking a D that will be getting older/slower...same w/ Edge, and the QB problems will likely remain. What needs to happen is a total makeover next year, a la' Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay.

I hate to be cynical about a team that I love, but you have to be realistic.
If Jackson, Bettis, Haynes, Smith, Edge, A-Train,...whoever It won't matter much for the team and it won't have much fantasy impact.
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk