No contact rule won't make a damn bit of difference - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No contact rule won't make a damn bit of difference

Moderator: Football Moderators

No contact rule won't make a damn bit of difference

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:30 am

I've seen a bunch of threads on this (e.g. which wide receivers will benefit most from this rule, etc.). Personally, I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. This will be just like the "Cracking down on hooking penalties" in hockey, and "We're going to call high strikes now" in baseball. Officials will call it tight for a couple weeks adding 4 or so penalties per game, slowing the game down to an unberable pace.

By week 3 or 4, mugging in the secondary will be business as usual.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:41 am

I do see this point. Refs try to make it "stand out" in the beginning of the year to try to quell the trend but then back off hoping that they won't have to call it anymore. I guess they think it's sort of like a nicotine patch...they ween you off the need to do things until you don't do it anymore. As with the patch, it's probably only 10% effective! :-o

Also worth noting is that at the end of games there will still be "mugging." The refs normally won't let a game be decided on a ticky-tack penalty (unless they want a media fiasco), so I expect to see a lot of "no-calls" during the 4th quarter this year - along with a bunch of angry analysts on TV wondering why the new rule wasn't enforced...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:36 pm

I agree. Way too much hype around this thing.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:26 pm

I also agree. Even if the rule is enforced, defenses will find some sort of way to adjust (maybe DBs will just knock the receivers on the ground, b/c i think it's legal as long as they don't use their hands on the tackle).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:09 pm

I agree and like the baseball reference. Every year the umps say they'll be calling new strikes and they never do.
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bwzabodyn » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:58 pm

like I've said various times, it will not increase anyone production - if anything, if they call it consistently throughout the year (did I just say "consistent" referring to refs?) I think it will actually HURT production because the penalty yards will be cutting into their receiving yards... but on the plus side, more TDs will be scored from the increased chances by keeping the drives alive...

All in all, I think the new rule is "GHEY" (use a Canadian accent)
Formerly bzabodyn (over 1000 posts) - but I was deactivated!!! Poop on you!!!
bwzabodyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:27 pm

I disagree, already you may or may not have noticed in the preseason that a lot of DBs are consciously backing off WRs down the field instead of jersey tugging.

While the refs may or may not begin to enforce this rule properly, the real impact is in the mindset of a DB. He knows that an infraction of the penalty is going to result in a first down, so he is trying his hardest to shadow the WR without touching him. This gives the best route runners and the speediest wideouts more room to manuever just like in 3rd and long situations.

Look for across the board increase in passing yardage and passing attempts per game and a general scoring increase this year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:49 pm

All in all, I think the new rule is "GHEY" (use a Canadian accent)

We don't have an accent, do we? :-?

In the end, the rule will change nothing but the pace of the game. Now for a two hour game, I'll be there for an extra hour while the announcers talk about bad calls :-°
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:55 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I disagree, already you may or may not have noticed in the preseason that a lot of DBs are consciously backing off WRs down the field instead of jersey tugging.

While the refs may or may not begin to enforce this rule properly, the real impact is in the mindset of a DB. He knows that an infraction of the penalty is going to result in a first down, so he is trying his hardest to shadow the WR without touching him. This gives the best route runners and the speediest wideouts more room to manuever just like in 3rd and long situations.

Look for across the board increase in passing yardage and passing attempts per game and a general scoring increase this year.
He hit it on the head. The refs don't need to call it to prevent it from happening. DBs will let them run as to not give up big yardage on stupid penalties. Speedsters will benefit, like Kensat said.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk