Kickers are worth something!!!!!!!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kickers are worth something!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Arlo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:52 pm

Andy1234 wrote:
Arlo wrote:That last post, by the way, was aww-speak for:
Arlo, what's aww-speak?

That's for clearing up my overly worded post.

Oops, meant aww's post above yours. ;-)

Sorry about that - hit the reply button before seeing your response, which already covered all the bases I tried to.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:01 pm

Reills wrote:may be diggin' myself a deeper hole here, but it'll be the last time i'll speak in here, and i'm sure that later on for aww's sake i'll "be lil more open", but the difference between the 1st K and the 3rd was 3pts/week, which makes a difference. whereas the top 3RB's, well the difference was 2.5pts between #1 and #3, but anyway, not hat big of deal!

Well, that changes things, of course. If your scoring system goes against the grain and creates greater differences between kickers than other positions, you clearly have to factor that into your draft strategy.

The key questions then become:

How reliable are kicker projections compared with other positions? Will that gap exist again?

and

How soon should you grab a kicker? Can you wait, assuming other owners will be drafting Ks late?

Interesting ... what's your league's exact scoring?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:06 pm

In your league you start 1 Kicker and 6 starters at the skill positions (RB,WR,TE).

So for a ten team league, there will be 10 starting K and 60 starting at the Skill positions.

So would you rather end up with the 10th best Kicker or the 60th skill position player as a starter for your team?

In a league that starts 1 RB, 1WR, 1 TE, 1 QB, and 1 K: drafting a kicker early makes more sense because the drop off at the other positions isn't as steep.

This also works as the league gets smaller (because it also lowers the drop off difference)

OK, I'm done. You are right Kickers matter, but they don't need to be drafted high in order to matter.
Stewie: [hitting on some co-eds] I must say, the most recent campus sporting event was quite spectacular.
Co-ed: Aw. Are you in a fraternity, little boy?
Stewie: Not yet, but I'm thinking of joining I Felta Thigh.
Andy1234
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Reills » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:09 pm

well, here's the pts breakdown, as you can see, a K can have 2FG's, and 3xpts, 1touchback and do almost as well as a guy that had 60yds and a TD, but either way, stuck in my own fantasy world, guess i don't really think about others scoring, then again, i'm out to win mine!!!!!!!hah

2 point conversion (rushing, receiving or passing)
PAT (kicking)
Touchback (kicking)
Safety
Field Goal
Field Goal (50+ yards)
Every 15 yards Rushing
Every 15 yards Receiving
Every 30 yards Passing
Every 50 Return Yards*
Fumble (only if lost to other team)
Interception (thrown)
Interception (caught)
Fumble Recovery (change of possession)
Sack
Solo Tackles
Forced Fumble
Blocked Kick (punt, field goal or PAT)
Pass Defended**
D.D. Flanks
Sandbox
Beers4Life
QB:Vick,Big Ben, Brees, Ramsey
RB:F.Taylor,Barber,Goings, Duckett, J.Jones, Betts
WR:Mason,D. Jackson, Lelie, Evans
K-Tynes
TE-Wiggy
D:Reed, P.Kerney, Azumah
Reills
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Reills » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:11 pm

YEAH, I GOT ANDY1234 TO SAY THAT "THEY MATTER", I DID IN FACT NEVER MENTION DRAFTING THEM HIGH, WE DO 20 ROUNDS, I THINK THE EARLIEST I'VE SEEN IS 6TH, BECAUSE THEY HAD A STUD AT ALL OTHER POS. ANYWAY, DONE HERE
D.D. Flanks
Sandbox
Beers4Life
QB:Vick,Big Ben, Brees, Ramsey
RB:F.Taylor,Barber,Goings, Duckett, J.Jones, Betts
WR:Mason,D. Jackson, Lelie, Evans
K-Tynes
TE-Wiggy
D:Reed, P.Kerney, Azumah
Reills
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby klgreen1973 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:05 pm

In my league you get 4 points for a kick made between 40-49 yds and 5 points for anything made over 50 yards. I had Vanderjagt last year and he helped me win many a game last year...I do agrre that if I can't get Wilkins or Vanderjagt, I will wait until one of the last rounds though. It is the same with defenses...if I can't have BAL, NE, CAR or DAL...I will wait!!!
klgreen1973
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tharris » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:16 pm

The problem with kickers is that it is nearly impossible to project stats for them, so there's just as good of chance that the 10th kicker taken will be better than the 1st kicker taken.
tharris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:29 pm

^^Yep, it's a combination of things really.

The first point, is, as has been mentioned, the positional scarcity just isn't there, kind of like the whole reasoning behind QB's going later than RB's.

The other is the general year-to-year inconsistency behind kickers makes them impossible to predict.

I've repeated these stats dozens of times on these boards, but I'll do it again for you.

Last year's top 2 kickers (vandy and Wilkins) ranked 17th and 26th respectively among kickers in 2002.

In the last 5 years, only 2 or 3 kickers (can't remember which looked up these stats a few months ago) have consecutive top 5 seasons.

That means 2 or 3 out of 25 possible. And the majority of those kickers fell all the way out of the top 15, and in more than 50% of the cases, a top 5 kicker fell out of the top 20 the next year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GMoney » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:32 pm

bagel your a tease....

who are those 2/3 guys who have consistent top 5 years???

Id say... Longwell could be 1? Maybe, Automatica (before last year)
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Vanter » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:22 pm

GMoney wrote:bagel your a tease....

who are those 2/3 guys who have consistent top 5 years???

Id say... Longwell could be 1? Maybe, Automatica (before last year)

Don't forget about Elam. He's been consistent since 1997 except for 2000 where his #s dipped to 103.
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk