WR with return yards? Question on Yahoo autodraft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WR with return yards? Question on Yahoo autodraft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

WR with return yards? Question on Yahoo autodraft?

Postby monkey69 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:15 pm

Hey all,

2 issues:
I'm in a 14 team league where we play 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def

1) League rules are for 1 pt for 10 yards return yards - so which WR also rack up ther most return yards?

2) The draft is by Yahoo computer autodraft - I have heard that we can get better RB and WR if we exclude all Def and K - then trade later - has anyone tried this and how would this work? Do we actually have holes in our lineup that we have to fill by trade or waiver wire?

Thanks.
16-teams - 1pt per 10yds rush/receive, 1 pt per 25 yds pass,No PPR
QB(1): Orton,Leftwich,Leinart
RB(2): Jones-Drew, Grant, Cadillac, L Washington, J Davis, Bernard Scott
WR(2): R. White, V. Jackson
TE(1): D. Clark, J. Finley
K(1): Gould
Def(1): BALT,GNB
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CKY_ROX » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:20 pm

check out the sleepers article right now, it explains how, in this type of league, donte hall is as good if not better then randy moss. the others in your league will not know this tso take advantage and aoutodraft his quite higher than ou might think.l there are a short list of players in that article who you should put high in your rankings

and i cant help you on the Kickers or Defense thing sorry

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Chopper » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Go to your league prior to the draft and sort the offensive players by fantasy points and by return yards for 03 stats and get an idea of how your targeted guys fell out last year. Check Yahoo's depth charts for return guys. Not entirely up to date, but as good as most out there. Check on Scobey, Swinton, Morris, Michael Lewis, Moses....but try to make sure they still are assured a return job.

For autodraft advice, there's a few good posts already on this. Do a search and include all of the following: yahoo autodraft exclude. You'll find some pretty good discussions. If after, you have any questions, post them or PM me. I've used this a few times with generally good success.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby monkey69 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:01 pm

Sounds interesting but would you then place a few TE, Def, K at the bottom or just exclude them entirely. Sounds like people are having no K, Def, Te at all with excluding them entirely.
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tcliff4 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:20 pm

my league also rewards return yards. dante hall's a complete stud, but guys with higher value include Randle El, Bobby engram, santana moss, steve smith, and peter warrick. also, with mccareins on NY, derrick mason is now slated as tennesee's top KR and PR. so i'd take a look at the depth charts and see who else may be worth moving up your list
tcliff4
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Chopper » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:42 pm

monkey69 wrote:Sounds interesting but would you then place a few TE, Def, K at the bottom or just exclude them entirely. Sounds like people are having no K, Def, Te at all with excluding them entirely.

I excluded every one in most drafts. If I were going to leave any 'unexcluded' it would only be the top one or two tiers of my rankings in case one of them slipped until after my starting RB/WR/QB had been chosen. The 'fundamental flaw' in Yahoo that you are exploiting is that Yahoo will be forced to chose your opponents TE, K, and Def while it is picking your backup skill positions. Your backups will be far better than anybody elses'. You are then in the driver's seat.

For example, if drafting today, I might not exclude Gonzo, Heap, Shockey, Winslow, Vandy, Wilkins, Balt and NE.
To leave much more than that is to defeat your intent. You want to draft 4th and 5th RB's and WR's before you pick John Hall or Atlanta Defense.
It doesn't matter if you don't pick a TE/K/D. You can trade for them or drop your 7th RB and WR for them.

Two warnings:
1. Check your pre-rankings as soon as possible before your draft (or every day if you don't know when it will run). There is a real danger of Yahoo adding some no-name free agent tight end right after you do your pre-rank exclude.
2. Don't rank too many QB's too high. This is a little tricky, but you want 4 quality RB's and 2 quality QB's. Not 2 quality RB's and 6 QB's. So rank your top couple tiers of QB's relatively high, but put be careful about mixing in too many within your top 5 or 6 tiers of RB's and WR's.
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby monkey69 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:58 pm

Chopper

Since you might place a few K, def, TE in your draft - where do you place them? I have seen people say to place them at the bottom but I am not sure how that benefits you as you have not excluded them and placed them too low to really have a shot at them?
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chopper » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:10 pm

It doesn't matter.
If you have one of your 'chosen' TE's still on the board after your starting RB/WR/QB's are filled, Yahoo will pick that TE from wherever you have him. Before it picks ANY bench players.
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby monkey69 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:14 pm

Ok, so I put the TE at the end along with the top Def and Ks.
Any idea on how to avoid gettinhg 6 QBs like you said?
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk