Portis not a good fit in Washington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis not a good fit in Washington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portis not a good fit in Washington

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:42 pm

This is from Len Pasquarelli, take it for what it's worth.

-- Portis Not a Great Fit; Redskins Eyeing Waiver Wire --
Fri Sep 3, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports there are whispers emanating from Washington that RB Clinton Portis isn't quite a perfect fit for the HC Joe Gibbs offense, which usually demands a power-type back. But a far bigger concern for the Redskins, who still figure to get about 1,400-1,500 yards from the third-year veteran obtained in the CB Champ Bailey trade, is the No. 2 tailback spot. None of the backups -- RB Ladell Betts, RB Sultan McCullough, RB Chad Morton or FB Rock Cartwright -- have been very impressive. Which explains why personnel chief Vinny Cerrato has been calling around checking on the status of veteran tailbacks who might be released this weekend. The 'Skins snooped around the possible availability of RB Garrison Hearst, with whom Cerrato is familiar from their stint together with the 49ers, but the Denver Broncos aren't likely to cut him now that RB Mike Anderson is sidelined for the season. Washington will take a long look at the waiver wire this weekend to see if there is a tailback better than the group it currently has behind Portis on the depth chart.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tyr » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:05 pm

I'm tempted to believe this. Portis is talented and fast, but he's small. Gibbs indeed does have a history of using power backs. John Riggins comes immediately to mind, of course.

On the other hand, I'm positive that between Gibbs and Bugel, the coaching staff will be able to easily adapt from a power back to a finesse back - especially considering the current offensive line, while talented, is a far cry from The Hogs that carried Riggins and the rest of the team to their championship rings in the 80s. Based on that fact alone, offensive plays will have to be completely rewritten, resulting in schemes that will be much friendlier to a speedy and intelligent running back.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:08 pm

Tyr wrote:I'm tempted to believe this. Portis is talented and fast, but he's small. Gibbs indeed does have a history of using power backs. John Riggins comes immediately to mind, of course.

On the other hand, I'm positive that between Gibbs and Bugel, the coaching staff will be able to easily adapt from a power back to a finesse back - especially considering the current offensive line, while talented, is a far cry from The Hogs that carried Riggins and the rest of the team to their championship rings in the 80s. Based on that fact alone, offensive plays will have to be completely rewritten, resulting in schemes that will be much friendlier to a speedy and intelligent running back.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Gibbs was brought in for a reason - he's one of the best. He'll adapt to the talent he has. Riggins rules, btw. :)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:13 pm

I take everything Len Pasquerelli writes about the Redskins with a grain of salt. He always seems to be down on them (maybe rightfully so).

Portis isn't in the John Riggins or Gerald Riggs mold, that's for sure. But Gibbs used Joe Washington, Kelvin Bryant and even Earnest Byner (OK, Portis and Earnest aren't exactly alike, but Byner wasn't a pounder either) with a lot of success, winning Super Bowls with them. Hell, he won a Super Bowl with Timmy Smith.

Betts is the wild card in the 'Skins running game. He missed parts of last year with a broken arm and has been nursing injuries all preseason. He played extensively tonight against Atlanta and looked pretty good.

I'm guessing Gibbs will have to make some adjustments with Portis, but only because he's never had a RB who was so naturally talented (I loved Riggins, but "athlete" doesn't jump to mind).
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 pm

From what I have seen of the Skins backs this preseason I have not been impressed. Rock Cartwright looked terrible, and I keep heareing about Betts being dissapointing.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Navyseal » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:19 pm

I'll give the haters/doubters a free pass because y'all obviously don't seem to remember just HOW VANILLA Gibbs runs his offense in the pre-season, since it was 12 years ago. Gibbs possesses the ultimate NFL coach poker face. Period. (including BB in NE).
Portis would probably succeed in any NFL system, but don't be fooled by Gibbs' absence from the NFL. He's watched the league and its play closely, even with Nascar taking up most of his time. Yes, the Hogs were talented, but the Skins line is much bigger, though maybe not in respect to the NFL average... Portis is relatively small but explosive and won't need Hog-sized holes like Riggo, Rogers, and Byner did.
BTW, Betts looked just fine vs ATL, and Gibbs will use him like he used Joe Washington on 3rd downs. We are excited here in D.C. for a reason, not based on players and accomplishments from 10-20 years ago. Most of the pieces are in place, the old guard is back, and now Giants fans, Dallas fans, and those horrible Philly fans will have to just sit and watch the Skins win the East. Sorry suckers, you've had your chances.
Portis will freakin' rock, and there's little anyone can do about it.
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:24 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:From what I have seen of the Skins backs this preseason I have not been impressed. Rock Cartwright looked terrible, and I keep heareing about Betts being dissapointing.

uhh exactly how many Skins games have you watched? ;-7

Portis has had like 20 carries total, you cant judge him on that. Betts has looked good to me when hes played, he was just injured. John Simon will probably be ahead of Rock on the depth chart if Cartewright even makes the team. Pastabelly pulls this stuff out of his ass. I dont know why but hes incredibly biased against the Redskins. He recently wreote an article about how Sean Taylor would be a flop. yeah... He's crap. :-t

Gibbs doesnt need players to fit his gameplan. He gameplans to fit his players. He wouldnt have gone out and TRADED for this guy if he didnt fit his system. Good grief.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Navyseal » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:30 pm

A cooler head prevailing... thank you Terpfan... ;-D
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Favre.com » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:44 pm

terpfan wrote:
Gibbs doesnt need players to fit his gameplan. He gameplans to fit his players. He wouldnt have gone out and TRADED for this guy if he didnt fit his system. Good grief.

This is probobly the smartest point I have read on the boards in the past week. ;-D
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby citti34 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:15 pm

This is a tricky situation.
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball