Portis not a good fit in Washington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis not a good fit in Washington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:22 pm

I trust Gibbs and I think he'll do what it takes to get everything right... Portis may not fit, but Gibbs will make it work regardless IMO.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:30 pm

Yea, trust me I will not be basing my FF season on info from Len P.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:49 pm

I though Earnest Byner WAS a pounder. Or was that the other guy? Kevin Mack?

Anyway, I agree that Portis is too big of a talent for Gibbs to try to mold into something he's not. And Gibbs won't sweat the fact that Portis isn't John Riggins. Portis is a guy worth building an offense around. But they've definitely got some building to do.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby IRON CHEF » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:22 pm

terpfan wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:From what I have seen of the Skins backs this preseason I have not been impressed. Rock Cartwright looked terrible, and I keep heareing about Betts being dissapointing.

uhh exactly how many Skins games have you watched? ;-7

Portis has had like 20 carries total, you cant judge him on that. Betts has looked good to me when hes played, he was just injured. John Simon will probably be ahead of Rock on the depth chart if Cartewright even makes the team. Pastabelly pulls this stuff out of his ass. I dont know why but hes incredibly biased against the Redskins. He recently wreote an article about how Sean Taylor would be a flop. yeah... He's crap. :-t

Gibbs doesnt need players to fit his gameplan. He gameplans to fit his players. He wouldnt have gone out and TRADED for this guy if he didnt fit his system. Good grief.

Okay maybe I was being a bit harsh, I was just commenting on their backs because I havent seen anything worthwhile from them. Portis has played little but didn't look sharp when he did play, and my impression of Betts is what I have heard from different sources. And as for Rock - :-P

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:53 am

I'm not betting against Portis. Coming out of highschool his hometown recruiter (Steve Spurrier) said he would never play division I ball at running back, and his future was at defensive back. He proved him wrong by going to Miami and winning a national championship.

He goes pro and the knock is that he is too small to be a feature back. Slips to the second round. He puts up over 3000 yards and 30 TDs in his first two years.

What is the current knock on him? It is all Denver's system? This guy has been proving critics wrong long before he ever donned a Bronco uniform, and I am not about to bet against him now. He is arguably the most explosive back in the league and plays with a big chip on his shoulder. IMO, top five back.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby East Bay Ray » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:25 am

In his opinion, Portis may not be the best fit, but he's going to start and I beleive he will suceed. The skins gave up one of the best corners and a pick to get Portis. They are not going to let him sit on the bench.
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk