Michael Vick's Final Preseason Appearance - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Vick's Final Preseason Appearance

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby East Bay Ray » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:15 am

Preseason means nothing, but I'm sure there are many out there who would have liked to see him produce at least average numbers. My guess is that he was giving maybe 50-60%, no need to go full throttle and risk injury like last year. Time will tell when the season starts. For the Falcons franchise, I hope hes a great player.

Schaub looked great and Atlanta needs some one who might be able to put up consistent numbers if Vick goes down.
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:39 am

Vick really didnt have much of a chance. Hell I think he only played 5 plays.

First play Springs gets to him on a CB blitz and while being tackled he throws a stupid floating duck up into the air which is picked off by Matt Bowen. Second drive I think Dunn was stuffed at the LOS and then Vick threw two incompletions under heavy rush again. Third drive Lavar Arrington CREAMED him on a blitz, Vick fumbled, and Antonio Pierce returned it for a TD.

After that they took him out fearing any more damage. Besides making a bad decision by trying to throw that first pass away you can't blame to much of this on Vick. The Skins defense had a fire lit under them last night.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:57 am

I don't put much stock in the preseason games, I do however find them reaffirming my prediction that Michael Vick is going to be a bust as a franchise QB.

I never bought into the 3000 passing yards/1000 rushing yards as being godlike. I guess that's because Randal Cunningham came about 50 rushing yards shy of accomplishing that once, and it didn't make him a game altering QB.

I've always been skeptical of his 55% completion percentage. Yes, his WRs were bad, but other QBs managed better percentages with just as bad if not worse WRs. I've also never liked his scrambling style. Whenever I've seen him scramble he runs like how a novice snowboarder goes down the mountain. That whole pendelum action, running side to side and just backing up further and further, it's not very good scrambling in my opinion because it puts him 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The only time I've seen him step up while scrambling is when he's tucked the ball and started to run.

Also there's just the fact that his running ability is his primary talent and seems to be his first option. He's a QB, he needs to be able to throw, and Vick has yet to show himself to be even above average in this regard. Having a QB that can run is nice, but having one that can throw is necessary. Without it, you wont have a passing attack, and will not make the superbowl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:10 pm

For what it's worth, I've read that Vick is having a HELLUVA hard time picking up the WCO that Mora runs. He looks lost out there.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomkatt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:18 pm

I thought Vick & the Falcons were lucky that he got up in one piece after that insane hit Arrington put on him! Looks like Mike is in for an adjustment period with this new offense.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby citti34 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:29 pm

It could be worse, could def be worse.

citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk