Miami Starting RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Miami Starting RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Miami Starting RB?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 pm

Any Fins fans out there have the low-down on this? I've heard repeatedly that Travis Minor is not the answer and have heard rumor after rumor of the Dolphins trading for a back. Possibly their prime target, James Jackson didn't look worthy of trade talk today.

On the other hand Sammy Morris looked to run very well. Could he be the man???

I'm in a deep league and would love to have the services of a #3 or #4 back.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GMoney » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:59 pm

Vernon Hayes has also performed well and has a price tag much closer to what Miami is looking to pay..... I think that unless Cle is willing to take less, Miami wont get jackson....

I think the only clear thing is.... MINOR IS NOT THE ANSWER... RBBC seems to be shaping up in Miami.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:00 pm

I was just thinking......how come Lamar Gordon's name hasn't been mentioned in trade talks? S. Jackson appears more than capable, plus they still have Arlen Harris if need be.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GMoney » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 pm

thats a good question.... I think that St Louis really considers this as Faulks last year.... and I think they would like to keep a capable backup like Gordon behind jackson next year.... gotta be thinking a couple years ahead all the time.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VaderFin » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:07 pm

My guess is Morris will be the starter and Minor the 3rd down back.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:12 pm

I think if St Louis was looking to deal they would aim for Ogunleye considering our need for DE help.

Not sure why Gordon or Harris wasn't really mentioned too much. Faulk might be gone after this year, but they have a future stud with Jackson and two fairly solid backups as well. I'm sure they could have afforded to give away one of them, considering there are a few rumors that Harris might even be cut.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:36 am

Gordon was initially mentioned when Ricky retired. Then S. Jackson missed some time in preseason, and wasnt really prepared when he showed up. At that point, they put him as #4 on the depth chart, w/ Gordon at #2. They really hadnt seen what SJ could do, so they were not willing to give up Gordon.

Then, once they knew Jackson was the real deal, Gordon was out b/c he had ankle surgery, and nobody is going to trade for an injured player.

My prediction now is that they go w/ Morris. But then again, i thought Minor would put up 1300 total yards before i saw him play ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby muzz » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:42 am

I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard about them looking into Mike Cloud, who was released by the Pats.....
Probably because it's so late in the preseason.

He's not a great back by any means, but may be at least as good as they have, and could probably be had cheap.

I think he'll get picked up by somebody as depth.
Don't blame us if your players stink the place up....You got our OPINION, your not paying any money for advice!!
If your new guy gets injured.. it happens, and not part of the equation beforehand.
Good Luck, and Thanks for being reasonable.
m
muzz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:57 am

muzz wrote:I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard about them looking into Mike Cloud, who was released by the Pats.....
Probably because it's so late in the preseason.

He's not a great back by any means, but may be at least as good as they have, and could probably be had cheap.

I think he'll get picked up by somebody as depth.

they may not want to deal w/ the whole 'drug' thing again. Cloud was suspended for steroids last year (at least i believe he was)
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sammyfan711 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:15 am

Yahoo says the Fins might go after Lamar Smith:

Aug 31 The Dolphins are going to give Sammy Morris more looks in the preseason finale in case shaky starter Travis Minor continues struggling. They are also still pursuing outside help. According to the Miami Herald, the team is not interested in trading a third-round pick to the Browns for James Jackson, and they are now looking at former Dolphin Lamar Smith, who will likely be released by the Saints after their game on Friday. Other possibilities include Verron Hayes or Dante Brown of Pittsburgh, or free agent Skip Hicks.
Views: The Dolphins are almost certain to add a running back to their backfield before the regular season begins. Unless the Browns drop their asking price for Jackson, which is not out of the question, it may end up being Smith. Smith flourished in Miami in 2000 and 2001, when he averaged over 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns. He had limited success with the Panthers in 2002 before being relegated to backup status with the Saints in 2003. Should he get the call, he will likely still split carries with Minor and Morris in what is shaping up to be a backfield-by-committee.
sammyfan711
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk