Will Barlow have a better season than Hambrick did last year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Barlow have a better season than Hambrick did last year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Barlow have a better season than Hambrick did last year

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:39 pm

Last year, some people were high on Hambrick. Emmitt was gone, Ham was the up-and-coming, young bruiser that Parcells liked to use with no real competition in the backfield. Moreover, Dallas had an inexperienced QB, mediocre WRs but a solid O-line.

This year, Barlow is the man in SF. Same situation; his incumbent starter is gone, there is no other RB to challenge him for the job, he has an unproven QB and mediocre WRs and a depleted O-line.

Why should Barlow be expected to set the league on fire? He did well last year in limited starts with Garcia and TO/Streets in the lineup and with a couple more proven O-linemen. But how will he stand up as the focal point of the offense with so many other changes on his team?

Anyone have any logical reason why he is worth such a high draft pick?
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:22 pm

San Fran's starters on offense have really stunk in pre-season play. I thought Barlow could do well despite the lack of talent around him but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be taking him in the 2nd round. He should do better than Hambrick but I don't think I want him on my team this year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby deftdelivery » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:23 pm

You can't compare Barlow to Hambrick:

1 - Hambrick had very little experience starting or playing in any NFL games when he was given the start last season...Barlow has played and started in several games...he has the experience factor

2 - Hambrick does not have the talent Barlow does, quite simply...he cannot catch as well as Barlow nor possesses the same speed. He is an inferior back

3 - I believe the situation was different. Last season, the Cowboys ran the ball into the ground even with a horrific RB due to their superior play on defense. The 49ers don't have nearly the D Dallas did last season, and will have to play catchup. Hambrick's stats were inflated due to Dallas just trying to run out the clock...so you really can't compare Hambrick's success to Barlow yet. (I understand the Hambrick of old does have an edge on the Barlow of new due to the carries he received, but Barlow will be given plenty of oppurtunities in the passing game [no lt2, but still good enough])

Wow, I just used brackets inside of parentheses - is that legal? :-? [/u]
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tomkatt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:28 pm

Barlow is light years MORE talented than Troy Hambrick. However, I do agree that Barlow may be a bit overrated to start the year. He is going to be in a similar situation as Tomlinson, expected to shoulder the load. That will be new for him. I just remember Mike Shanahan saying that Barlow was the best RB available in the draft that year. He should produce good numbers in '04, I'm just not sure they will be good enough numbers to justify where some people are picking him. I like Barlow, and can't wait to see how he does. I'd feel much better about him if T.O. and Garcia were still there. Maybe Rattay and Lloyd will cause a stir though.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby irishboy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:37 pm

i got barlow in the fourth and was glad to get him; i cant believe he fell so low
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kurtistb » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:48 pm

I got him in the 7th in my early draft league but in a later one I got him in the third (which I kind of regret since I already had portis and taylor).
kurtistb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:54 pm

The big difference between Hambrick and Barlow is talent- plain and simple.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:57 pm

I think Ricky Henderson would have gotten more yards than Hambrick did last year in Dallas. Yeah, Ricky Henderson- take any Ricky for that matter- Ricky Watters, Ricky Williams a la the Colts.

Forget the wins and losses and the o-line and the QB, Barlow should get a 1000 yrds combine before it takes Hambrick two seasons to get there.
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby zombiez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:54 pm

the biggest difference is that Hambrick was on a better team then Barlow is this year.....to all you guys that have been waiting to have him when he is surely the starter....go ahead and grab him, he will be remembered fantasy wise, as the RB that never was
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby mad benjamin » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:42 pm

He may be better than Hambrick, but I definitely think his value is a bit overblown. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not predicting him to be the 2nd round stud many people think he will be. But that's just me.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk