Value of Handcuffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Value of Handcuffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Value of Handcuffs?

Postby mysteryhunt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:48 pm

i'm in a 12 team league and we only have 4 bench spots, should i hold on to hollings and jackson or try to stock my bench with fliers who are starters currently and not just waiting in the wings? i doubt anyone other than me (the d. davis) owner would seriously be interested in tony hollings with only 4 bench spots/ any help would be appreciated, thanks!

starters:
p. manning
p.holmes
d. davis
a. johnson
a. toomer
t. heap
K=edinger
miami D

bench:
l. fitzgerald
s. jackson
t. hollings
vikings D
mysteryhunt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:54 pm

Yeah, but if one of your starters go down and you're a minute too late to hit ww, someone else will have your starter and you will be held over a barrel and desperate. They're good insurance and not usually a waste of roster space, IMO. I'd get rid of the extra D and pick up Larry Johnson in case something happens to Holmes.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:59 pm

I'd drop the extra Def also. Do you have a limit on wire pick ups?
I'd keep Hollings for now and see what happens in Houston.If DD plays like he capable of, you could drop Hollings for another RB or WR later.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BeefSandwiches » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:03 pm

I agree that you should grab backups. If DD or Priest goes down and you have Hollings and Johnson, you will be alright. Granted Johnson is no Priest, but there is nothing worse than seeing your guy go down and his replacement win games for another team. :-#
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mysteryhunt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:05 pm

yeah, we can make 10 moves for $1 each, all move after that are $5 each. i dropped Minn D for e. kennison, since i'm weak at WR. someone else drafted l. johnson before i could.
mysteryhunt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BeefSandwiches » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:09 pm

mysteryhunt wrote:someone else drafted l. johnson before i could.

When this happens, one of the best courses of action is to quickly draft his handcuff if he's available.

For example, in my league this year I had Q Grif and the guy with Priest took Bell pretty soon after. Later in the draft I grabbed LJ maybe a round or two sooner than he would normally go and I was able to make a post-draft deal of Bell for Johnson.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bobafett » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:48 pm

What if you take another teams handcuff? I took Chester Taylor and Najeh Davenport late, and am trying to trade them to the teams with J Lewis and A Green. What value would you put on getting your star back's handcuff? 3rd WR? 4th WR? Backup QB or TE?
one for the thumb

Post your thread and I'll help you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1334274#1334274
bobafett
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canacuna » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:47 pm

bobafett wrote:What if you take another teams handcuff? I took Chester Taylor and Najeh Davenport late, and am trying to trade them to the teams with J Lewis and A Green. What value would you put on getting your star back's handcuff? 3rd WR? 4th WR? Backup QB or TE?

Depends on the situation. I might give you one of my bench WRs for Chester Taylor if I had Jamal Lewis. If I had Ahman Green, you could have Najeh Davenport - that'd probably be a RBBC with Tony Fisher, methinks.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:47 pm

Handcuffs don't interest me too much unless the backup is a guy like DeShaun Foster who (1) will be getting significant time anyway and (2) would be THE MAN were something to happen to Stephen Davis. Unless both of these conditions are met, I say handcuffs are a waste of roster room.

So Priest Holmes gets hurt and you don't have Larry Johnson -- what do you do? Yeah, maybe think about picking him up. Maybe. Or you could take a shot on another back with no NFL experience to speak of. But if you've drafted well, you already have a backup to your two starting RB slots -- like a Lee Suggs, Tyrone Wheatley, Charlie Garner, a back you can get LATE in a draft. Or a DeShaun Foster.

Why are we so intersted in an elite RB's backup when we will have bonified NFL starters to plug into our lineup if that stud RB gets hurt?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby godallahstar » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:03 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:Why are we so intersted in an elite RB's backup when we will have bonified NFL starters to plug into our lineup if that stud RB gets hurt?

maybe some of us aren't playing exclusively in these mickey mouse, 10 team yahoo public leagues you must be oh-so accustomed to?
godallahstar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk