Finally, some deserved respect for Chris Brown and Co. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Finally, some deserved respect for Chris Brown and Co.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Finally, some deserved respect for Chris Brown and Co.

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:12 pm

Brown finishes preseason as AFC's top rusher

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
September 4, 2004

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The biggest question the Tennessee Titans faced this preseason was who would replace Eddie George. Now the only query is: Can Chris Brown keep this up?

The second-year running back out of Colorado finished the preseason leading the AFC with 240 yards rushing on 32 carries, including 98 yards on eight rushes in Friday night's 27-7 exhibition finale victory over Green Bay.

That performance would be nice if it came in a regular game, but the Titans know defenses will be preparing much differently for Brown in the season, which begins Sept. 12 in Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT

``Because of what he's done, there's going to be a lot more respect there,'' coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday.

``If teams say, `OK, you've got a back that can potentially be a game-breaker, that can go the distance' and elect to go ahead and load the line of scrimmage, that's only going to help us outside to be more effective.''

Fisher pointed out that even taking away Brown's 73-yard run against Green Bay, the back still averaged 5.4 yards per carry. With the run, he averaged 7.5 yards per rush.

Those are numbers unseen by this franchise in years, in exhibitions or the regular season.

The Titans (3-1) concluded the preseason with 560 yards rushing, a big improvement from the 324 yards in the 2003 preseason.

Now Brown must prove he can do this for an entire season. He said he doesn't know if he has surprised people because he knew all along what he could do. His biggest concern was staying healthy in the preseason, and he gave credit to his offensive line for helping out.

``They've been opening up some big holes out there, making it a lot easier for me to see them and get through them,'' Brown said.

An improved running game would be a big boost for the Titans who ranked eighth in the NFL in total offense last season largely because of a passing game that was fifth in the league behind co-MVP Steve McNair.

The running game was 26th and generated just 101.4 yards per game.

McNair thinks the Titans accomplished plenty in the preseason, and Brown brings a new dimension with his quickness.

``We need that to help this offense in the way we want to go. We need to be explosive in the running game. We can hand it off to Chris on a third-and-10 and get a first down. Chris is doing a great job in the passing game, too,'' McNair said.

``So when you put all that together, he's a great guy.''

The Titans gave up 109.3 yards rushing on defense this preseason after leading the NFL in stopping the run in 2003. Fisher isn't worried about that stat yet because they didn't use any schemes designed to stop the run.

``If it happens during the regular season, then it becomes a concern,'' he said.

Notes

The Titans released six players Saturday, dropping them to 65. Fisher said they will make the remaining 12 cuts Sunday morning, but he didn't rule out adding players off the waiver wire or trades. The Titans will be looking for help at defensive end. They released WR Rich Musinski, WR Tramon Douglas, DE K.T. Stovall and Ivory McCoy, LB John Leake and TE Kellen Brantley.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Great Article!

Postby tds04 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:25 pm

Thanks for the article on CB. I was able to draft him in the 6th round of my draft. The problem I have is finding a starting spot for him on opening day. The flex system in Yahoo allows an owner to start three RBs and I already have Jamaal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Quentin Griffin penciled in. Anybody else with Brown and a crowed backfield out there?
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Great Article!

Postby tds04 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:26 pm

Thanks for the article on CB. I was able to draft him in the 6th round of my draft. The problem I have is finding a starting spot for him on opening day. The flex system in Yahoo allows an owner to start three RBs and I already have Jamaal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Quentin Griffin penciled in. Anybody else with Brown and a crowed backfield out there?
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:57 pm

Ok I would love to jump all over this CBrown bandwagon, but have you guys actually watched him play. I've watched all his games that I could and caught the highlights of the others. He has had some amazing runs, but I noticed something that worries me.

Have any of you noticed that he runs almost standing straight up? For some reason he just looks like hes waiting to get drilled bad by a LB. I think the kid has a lot of talent but just don't know if I can see him making it thru a whole season without injury.

Now if you can have him at your fourth RB, then hell go for it.

But don't let a great preseason fool you. Its the regular season that matters.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby zombiez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:58 pm

and let's all remember one thing......IT'S PRESEASON....!!!!!!!!!!! :-° :-°
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Favre.com » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:08 pm

Zombiez wrote:and let's all remember one thing......IT'S PRESEASON....!!!!!!!!!!! :-° :-°

I was about to bring that up as well.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby bryan1327 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:42 pm

Yes...I know...even though it is pre-season it is a nice article for those of us who took Brown any where from the 4th round and beyond.. B-)
"I am a shining example of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby benm3218 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:45 pm

He stands straight up, and it's only preseason.......

Two thigs you always hear from jealous guys who didn't get him.

hahahahaha
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:25 pm

Finally some well-deserved respect for Chris Brown? Don't get me wrong, I like Chris Brown, but all I've been hearing is that Chris Brown is such a great pick and so on, he's never even started an NFL game. I think he has gotten more than his fair share of respect.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:26 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Finally some well-deserved respect for Chris Brown? Don't get me wrong, I like Chris Brown, but all I've been hearing is that Chris Brown is such a great pick and so on, he's never even started an NFL game. I think he has gotten more than his fair share of respect.

I agree with this. I think he will do very well this yr. He's now going as high as the 2nd round. That's a lot of respect for a first time starter.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk