Why does everyone hate Priest Holmes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why does everyone hate Priest Holmes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why does everyone hate Priest Holmes?

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:11 pm

Ok hate might be a strong word, but it doesn't seem like anyone here thinks he'll be the #1 back next year, and many don't think he'll be in the top 5. If he's practicing full-speed during training camp/pre-season (as he and the team claim he will be) will you really not draft him #1? I mean, he did outscore the #2 back last year by about 60 in two fewer games, and lead the league in rushing and total yardage the year before.

He was on pace to score 415 points in my league before he got hurt. LT had 293. Of course, if he's kept out of practice & pre-season games prior to the '03 season and the injury is still lingering, I'll be singing a different tune, but if he's going full speed and appears to be fully recovered (as expected), he's my #1 pick without a doubt.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Sandwich » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:25 pm

I agree mostly. If pre season goes well, he is a high first rounder along with LT and Williams. People are just scared by the word surgery. Time will tell.
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby DUKE » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:33 pm

It's a tough choice with Priest Holmes this year. I had him on my team last year and had a blast while it lasted, until the injury. I'll be watching him closely to monitor his rehab. If I were drafting, it would be hard to pass on him, but it would be somewhat of a risk at the same time. I hope he comes back strong, because I was pimping him before last season and drafted him w/ the 3rd overall pick in my draft, and some of my bud's were telling me I should've taken Alexander instead. I ended up getting trade offers from every team in my league by mid season.

Another thing other than how he recovers from the injury that I've considered though, is the possibility of the Cheifs being more conservative with him for preserving his body a little more after an injury. Maybe Cloud seeing some goalline carries? That would be horrible. :-o
Despite these possibilities, He'll definitely be top 5 at least.
Last edited by DUKE on Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby fntsyrookie » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:37 pm

Last year was last year and you won't get any arguements from me. He was the Stud of studs.

This year is completely different. Of course they're claiming that he'll be back at 100% but you never know. They thought this was going to go away without surgery. Otherwise why would he announce 3 months or so after the season that it was going to require surgery.

There are no guarantees in FF, but I'd rather take a back like LT, Williams, or Portis that are known to be healthy and ready to go right now.

If Holmes slips to someone at 5 or 6 and they pick him and he lights it up, then they got a hell of a steal. If however he doesn't return to true form then it wouldn't have been worth taking him so high.

The point is Holmes and the Chiefs say he'll be full go. But saying one thing and doing it are completely different, and there is no way of knowing for sure prior to the seasons start.

If however he does show that he's regained his form in the pre season then he for sure is a top pick. I'd say #1 to #3 depending on how conservative the owners are.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:36 pm

I agree with everone else the uncertainty of his hip has a lot of people cautious about his potenial. I hope he is back to his old form in 2003 but when you talk Hip injuries everone thinks back to Bo Jackson who was at the height fo his career and a what looked like a simple hip injury ended hie career!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:43 pm

the doctors have said this injury is nothing like bo's tho...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:21 pm

"If" thats the key here, if he is doing well in training camp, "if" he does well in pre season.

Oh and "hate" is too strong a word.....unless you have him on a keeper. :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby VIPER » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:43 pm

agree with everyone.....If he is at full strength come pre-season then he's #1-#3. ;-D
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:50 pm

i love the guy.. if he looks good in camp, hes without a doubt my #1 pick.. ;-D
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner