Denver TE's... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver TE's...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Denver TE's...

Postby CAL_BEAR » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:21 am

A little more drama in Denver... :-t

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - (KRT) - Jed Weaver and Byron Chamberlain started training camp as dual favorites to succeed Shannon Sharpe as the Denver Broncos' starting tight end, but both of them were told Saturday they won't even make the team.

Weaver and Chamberlain both said the team informed them Saturday morning they will be released Sunday. The Broncos could change their mind before they officially submit their cuts to the NFL before Sunday's 2 p.m. MDT deadline, but that's very unlikely unless there is a last-minute injury.

Jeb Putzier, who was impressive in training camp and exhibition games, is the best tight end still on the Broncos and likely becomes the starter. Patrick Hape, who caught two passes in the exhibition season, and long snapper Mike Leach are the other tight ends on the roster.

The Broncos might be adding tight end depth from within the roster. Weaver said he was told by team officials the Broncos will move Dwayne Carswell, who switched to left tackle this offseason, back to tight end. Carswell, who gained about 30 pounds up to 295 to play tackle after 10 NFL seasons at tight end, said he hadn't been informed of a position switch back to tight end but was willing to do it.

"I'm not stretching the field, but I could do it," Carswell said.

Chamberlain was the starter for almost the entire exhibition season and caught eight passes for 119 yards - the same amount of catches and 26 more yards than Putzier - so he was surprised by the news.

"I'm kind of surprised and disappointed," Chamberlain said. "I don't know what to say."

Weaver was a starter last year with San Francisco and the Broncos gave him a three-year contract this offseason worth a little more than $3million, and it included a $500,000 signing bonus. However, he never seemed comfortable in Denver's offense. He caught one pass in five exhibition games and dropped two passes in Thursday's exhibition finale.

"Why give someone the contract I got and get them out of here?" Weaver said. "I think you'd want to see what he could do for at least one season."

Although the Broncos have thinned out their tight ends, Sharpe said Saturday he has no desire to come back. Sharpe, who retired earlier this year to work on CBS' "The NFL Today" program, was at Invesco Field at Mile High for Thursday's exhibition game and was at Denver's headquarters Friday and Saturday working out. A Broncos spokesman said Sharpe was not working on an assignment for CBS, but Sharpe said he is not considering a comeback.

"I like sitting around the house," Sharpe said.

The Broncos appear to have one more roster decision to make. Receiver Charlie Adams and safety Sam Brandon both left the team headquarters shortly before a team meeting at noon, but neither was told he has been released. The Broncos are trying to trade Brandon, a fourth-round pick in 2002. If the Broncos trade Brandon, Adams could get the final roster spot. The Broncos might have to make a decision between Adams and Brandon if they can't make a trade.

The rest of the roster appears set. Cornerback Roc Alexander, who graduated from Wasson High School, is one of 11 defensive backs who has seemingly made the 53-man roster. Receiver Nate Jackson, fullback Kyle Johnson, safety Chris Young and linebacker Patrick Chukwurah were other players on the bubble who have apparently earned jobs.

"I Like To Believe That My Best Hits Border On Felonious Assault"
-Jack "The Assassin" Tatum
CAL_BEAR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:48 am

That's really too bad. But, I can see what happened. Shanahan based his decision on their performances of the preseason games. In the last game I watched, I saw Weaver drop three easily catchable passes. So, I can see why he's gone. I don't think Chamberlain impressed much either. Putzier, on the other hand, was catching almost everything thrown to him, rumbling downfield for big gains, and knocking would-be tacklers over.

I don't know if I'd trust him right now as a starting TE, but if it looks like Denver is going to use the TE like they did with Sharpe, he could be a nice wire pickup.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bryan1327 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:15 am

Crap...I picked up Weaver in my 12 team league draft in one of my last picks..Only did that to back up Gonzalez for the fifth week bye..We can not pick up till after week 4..I sure hope TG does not go down early in the first couple of weeks..ugh!!..At least I did not pick up Chamberlain as my only starting TE as one other in our league did!!.. :-o
"I am a shining example of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Budman_ffc » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:49 am

Saw this on RotoTimesSports...

Shad Meier (TE) Ten
The Titans apparently are trying to acquire Shad Meier from the Titans, according to the Denver Post. He'd provide depth at tight end in Denver, as the Broncos plan to release Byron Chamberlain and Jed Weaver.

What's your take on this if it happens?
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:04 am

Budman wrote:Saw this on RotoTimesSports...

Shad Meier (TE) Ten
The Titans apparently are trying to acquire Shad Meier from the Titans, according to the Denver Post. He'd provide depth at tight end in Denver, as the Broncos plan to release Byron Chamberlain and Jed Weaver.

What's your take on this if it happens?

Well, I'd say they'd end up with a similar player to the one they have now... :-b :-b

But, if Denver gets him, then I don't see him being much better than Putzier. Shad Meier really hasn't done anything special with Tennessee. I suppose both teams use the TE an equal amount, so he'll probably do about what he has done in the past.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Budman_ffc » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:28 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
Well, I'd say they'd end up with a similar player to the one they have now... :-b :-b

I'd have to agree with you on that one! Meant to change their mistake but forgot to. Thanks for the correction.
;-D
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:52 pm

I didn't see this coming, I guess thats because I haven't followed the Denver TE situation much. Both of them being cut is pretty odd, I would think they'd at least keep one of them. Too bad for all of those praising Jed and Byron as sleepers.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Shader » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:01 pm

Meier is very good, and could be decent starting TE. I wouldn't take him yet, but keep on the watch if this trade goes down.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hammerwx » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:12 pm

Chamberlin being cut does not suprise me. He has been signed & dropped by 3-4 teams in the last 2 yrs. Not what he used to be
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk