New Defensive Rule-helps RBs? QBs? WRs? Kickers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Defensive Rule-helps RBs? QBs? WRs? Kickers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Defensive Rule-helps RBs? QBs? WRs? Kickers?

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:08 pm

Assuming the refs will call the "no contact" rule beyond 5yards. Why do you think it will benefit QBs and WRs? or does it actually benefit the running game? I like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by shockandawe_ffc on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad benjamin » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:11 pm

I'm not exactly sure, but it could mean more separation for the defender and receiver. Personally, so what? If it changes anything, the change will relative. Every fantasy player will benefit from the same rule and the advantage will be the same across the board.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:41 pm

Say the ball is on the 25yd line- Plummer throws a 50 yrd pass ( assuming he can throw a 50 yrd pass) to Rod Smith- the flag is thrown for interference at the Vikes 25 yrd line. Call is now 1st and 10 at the Vikes 25. ( Correct me if I'm not translating this rule correctly.)

From a FF standpoint, we just lost 50 yrds! If that happens twice a game- that's a 100 yrds and potentially, 10 points based on my league's scoring grid. The leagues that reward big plays get hurt even more.

What do you guys think?
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mad benjamin » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:44 pm

Could be, but again, the effect will be relative and felt all across the board. Maybe once teams get used to the rule, the yardage totals may go up.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby freewaydog3 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:46 pm

yeah but they are that much closer to the end zone. and will probably get to the red zone more often. it sounds like it will help the kicking game as well
freewaydog3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:46 pm

shockandawe wrote:Say the ball is on the 25yd line- Plummer throws a 50 yrd pass ( assuming he can throw a 50 yrd pass) to Rod Smith- the flag is thrown for interference at the Vikes 25 yrd line. Call is now 1st and 10 at the Vikes 25. ( Correct me if I'm not translating this rule correctly.)

From a FF standpoint, we just lost 50 yrds! If that happens twice a game- that's a 100 yrds and potentially, 10 points based on my league's scoring grid. The leagues that reward big plays get hurt even more.

What do you guys think?

They probably would decline the penalty therefore giving Smith the 50 yard completion... ;-D

Edit - unless you mean that he didn't catch it and there are 50 less yards to work with...yeah, that would be bad. But, if it's interference, it's interference. It would have been called anyway.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk