How Many Do You Need?!? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Many Do You Need?!?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Many Do You Need?!?

Postby hayesb26 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:54 am

The Bucs resigned shawn king friday, giving them 5 QB's on their roster. id imagine they'll release one or two of them before the season starts. Also you wonder if they still see King as their QB of the future, with Johnson getting older....
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slingblade » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:30 am

Fanball.com
The News
As an unrestricted free agent, quarterback Shaun King had hoped to find an opportunity to compete for a starting job. Without a strong lead, he has chosen to stay with the Bucs for one more year. He'll compete against Shane Matthews and Jim Miller for the backup job behind Brad Johnson.

Our View
King's familiarity with Gruden's system gives him the inside track to win the number-two spot. Those that play with team quarterback should note that the Bucs may have the most depth at the position. King will test the free agent market again next offseason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFL.com
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers re-signed Shaun King to a one-year contract, giving them five quarterbacks on the roster.

The Super Bowl champions already signed former Washington Redskins quarterback Shane Matthews, former Chicago Bear Jim Miller and free agent Greg Zolman. They will compete with King to back up starter Brad Johnson.

King has played 28 games in four seasons with the Bucs. He was the No. 3 quarterback last year.

"It will be good to see Shaun have the opportunity to play within the same system for two years in a row," general manager Rich McKay said. "We had a lot of confidence in Shaun coming out of Tulane, he has played in many big games for us and we remain confident that Shaun is a winning quarterback in the National Football League."

King led the Bucs to the NFC Championship Game as a rookie starter in 1999.

"I am excited to return," said King, who played high school football across the bay in St. Petersburg.

In four seasons, King has completed 55 percent of his passes for 3,934 yards with 25 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. He was drafted by the Bucs in the second round (50th overall) in 1999.

Tampa Bay also signed long snapper Ryan Benjamin and backup tight end Todd Yoder to one-year contracts.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Indy Dragons » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:49 am

I would think they will drop at least one, maybe two, before opening day.

I can't see how they think King is the QB of the future, but maybe the nurturing, and compassion, that Gruden will show him, will make him so much better.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Homeless » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:36 am

Im with Indy on this, I dont see king as the future QB, however, players can get better and maybe King will grow under Grudens leadership.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:09 am

No amount of nurturing by Gruden is going to make Shaun King the future for Tampa. He just doesn't have what it takes. He'll probably be #2 simply because as stated: he's familar with the system. He only signed a one year deal so it sounds like even he knows he's not the future there.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:32 am

yeah good point rook if this is the future QB then they wouldnt have signed him to a one year contract.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk