First pick: McAllister or Boston? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First pick: McAllister or Boston?

Moderator: Football Moderators

First pick: McAllister or Boston?

Postby CoPlayer » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:43 pm

I'm in a 10-team league, with 2 keepers. My keepers are Kurt Warner and Corey Dillon. I have the first overall pick, which means that my 2 and 3 picks will be the 20th and 21st overall (i.e., a long wait).
The true "stud" RBs are gone, leaving players like Deuce Allister, Antowain Smith, Bennett, Bettis, Staley, etc.
On the WR side, everyone but Moss, Harrison, and TOwens are available.
So, option #1: do I shore up my RB situation with McAllister, who is not a sure thing but will be an everydown back given every opportunity to succeed? If I go this route, my two WRs will wind up in the Johnnie Morton, Troy Brown, Plaxico Burress range (i.e., the top 10+ WRs will be gone).
Or, option #2: go with DBoston, a true stud WR in my book, and then settle for MPittman, JLewis, or maybe William Green as my second RB next to CDillon? (One of these three should be availble).
I've gone back and forth on this about a dozen times. All insights/advice would be much appreciated.
CoPlayer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Hills » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:57 pm

I would most likely go with David Boston..There u have kurt warner and david boston, two studs anyone would like to have and a good rb in dillon and a second tier rb later in the draft that will score you some touchdowns
Hills

Postby cwebb » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:09 am

While taking Boston looks like a good move the better move will be taking McAllister. If you can start two RBs, go ahead!

If you start, say, three WR you have to have second tier WRs anyway and you can still find a solid corps later. Relying on guys like Jamal Lewis is way too risky.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

pick Boston

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:57 am

What I always believe is that you don't take a second tier RB over a stud WR. Take Boston with that 1st pick. You then have a stud at each skill position. With the next 2 picks, go RB, then WR. That 2nd RB could easily be Bettis or Antowain Smith. That would be a fine 2nd RB.

Postby SolarfluX » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:18 am

Boston is going to be playing against better defenses in a new division (niners, rams), while McCallister will be playing against run defenses like the falcons and panthers.

I'd give the edge to McCallister, although personally there are other RBs I'd rather pursue. NO throws the ball too much to consider their RBs.
SolarfluX
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Boston and here is why

Postby MARTIANS » Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:32 pm

Deuce will be good and Boston will be good. So who will produce more? Boston will and look at it this way Will anyone in your league start Plummer? If not, this decision is hands down Boston.
MARTIANS

Boston....

Postby Dabears » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:37 am

Boston is a high ranked reciever for most of the "FF mags" so I think it would be stupid not to pick him up over Duce! Eventhough I like McAllister I still think that Boston is gonna produce and if not, could be a good bargining token. ;-D
Dabears
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk