Question with salary cap leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question with salary cap leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question with salary cap leagues

Postby TA » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:35 pm

Hey folks,

I was wondering how people dealt with trades for draft picks in a salary cap league.

The league put in the salary cap to help cut down on questionable trades and not have a team blow itself up towards the end of the year and stock up with draft picks.

What it has done though, is make it close to impossible to trade right high profile players. The league has made picks worth the average of salary in the round. So as an example Peyton Manning is worth 20 dollars, but the average player taken in round 1 is also 20 dollars. So if I were to trade manning for a pick I would break even in cap and be 1 player short.

Any ideas or suggestions that others use?
TA

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:59 pm

The radical way to deal with this is to disallow trading draft picks altogether... It may not be a perfect solution, but quite a few leagues use this rule in order to cut down on the problems you mentioned.

Another way to go is to shift from a standard draft format to an auction. That way, if you trade Peyton Manning and his 20 dollar contract, you'll have an extra $20 to play with in next year's draft. Auction leagues aren't perfect, either, but if you add in elements such as rising salaries and contract lengths, you do have a certain amount of checks and balances in place to prevent iffy trades.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk