Andre Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Andre Johnson

Postby Slingblade » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:54 pm

from the asylum

Andre Johnson has seen his draft stock steadily rise over the past nine months. The Junior out of Miami may have been the first receiver taken in any class over the last 10 years if it wasn't for the emergence of Michigan State wide receiver Charles Rogers. Some scouts say his production at Miami was limited by the weak arm of quarterback Ken Dorsey, but still, Johnson ranks fifth in Miami history in career receiving yards (1,831) and tied for third in career touchdown receptions (20).

Standing a legit 6'3" tall, Johnson was the Co-Most valuable player in the 2002 Rose Bowl along with Dorsey. He finished that game with 199-yards receiving and two TD's. Johnson chose the University of Miami over USC when he was being recruited. Part of the reason was former Hurricane wide out, Eddie Brown. Eddie Brown also attended the same high school as Andre.

In my opinion, Andre Johnson cannot fail at the next level. He has all the physical tools to succeed and he can be compared to Terrell Owens or David Boston. I think Andre has a little bit of these guys in him, but his combination of athleticism and speed is more like a bigger version of Koren Robinson of the Seahawks.

The best attribute of Andre Johnson is his attitude. He let's his game do his talking. The Miami University players are often called brash, trash talking billboards. How can you blame the critics? When you look at the players who came from Miami, the short list of trash talkers include Clinton Portis, Warren Saap, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Michael Irvin and even Ken Dorsey. Andre Johnson is different. He will not trash talk you on the field. He will score or catch a hitch route and take it 50-yards without saying a word. When you see him in the end zone, that is enough for Johnson to say.

One of the most overlooked aspects of Johnson's game is his ability to play special teams. Defensive tackle Matt Walters said you should see him on Miami's kickoff-coverage team. "Dre almost put some people in the hospital"

Andre Johnson will be a top 10 pick on April 26th.There are more than a few teams interested in the huge wide receiver.

How does he fit into our fantasy plans for 2003? Let's just say the following teams are interested in him as a day one starter and go-to guy.

Houston Texans- The Texans drafted Jabar Gaffney last year, and some think Gaffney would be a nice compliment to Johnson and Andre would be the deep threat. The Texans pick at the # 3 spot and have other needs, but a trade down scenario could take place and Johnson could be playing his pro ball in Texas.

Arizona Cardinals- To me, this is almost a no-brainer. The Cardinal lost David Boston and Jake Plummer. They did sign Jeff Blake, and Blake has a reputation as guy who can help put receivers on the map. See Travis Taylor, Joe Horn, and Darnay Scott. All of these guys had great success with Blake as their signal caller. With Arizona selecting at the number six spot, Johnson would be the perfect guy to take over for David Boston. Who else do they have? Jason McAddley?

Jacksonville Jaguars- Most "experts" are saying Johnson is a lock for the Jaguars at the number eight spot. I am not sure he will be there when they pick. Jimmy Smith is not getting any younger and Keenan McCardell is long gone. The fit seems perfect, but with Jack Del Rio running the show in Jacksonville, you may se a defensive player drafted here.

Johnson could also be selected by one of the following teams with Carolina, Baltimore rounding out the top 10 picks. The Jets are hoping he falls to the number 13 spot since they have acquired that pick from the Redskins for the loss of Laverneus Coles.

What are the positives and negatives of Andre Johnson?

Positives- Very strong and physical. He is very hard to jam at the line of scrimmage. His best games have come against top-flight teams. He is very fast and a former member of the Hurricane 4 x 100 track team. Runs a legit 4.35 forty.

Negatives- Drops some easy passes because he sometimes lacks concentration. Sometimes will catch with the body, rather than snatching the pass out of the air with his hands. Rounds off too many routes.

Bottom Line- Andre Johnson should have a long and productive career in the NFL. If he goes to a franchise like the Cardinals, he will instantly become the go-to receiver. He did have some character concerns, since he was suspended for academic fraud (plagiarism), but he has learned from his mistake and has been nothing short of a model citizen since his suspension. Andre Johnson has instant impact ability written all over him. He will be a welcome addition to any franchise that drafts him. He will be a top 10 selection, Mark my words.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:17 pm

He could become a GIANT !

Thats a Pun there, not the football team, you know, Andre the giant... weak I know.

Actually this is a kid to watch out for, its not the first time ive heard or read good things about him.

Good post sling.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Roseman » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:54 pm

He is of the David Boston mould and could be the next great thing 83 was the year of the QB 2003 could be the year of the WR

It will be intresting who out of him and Rogers will emerge as the better WR in the long run ;-D

Honestly my money is on Johnson
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:24 am

I've heard, and read, lots about him - even more than I have of Rogers - but I'm still hesitant to draft him! If he goes to Houston, I would probably pass on him - for this season in a redraft league - but would probably snatch him up quickly in a dynasty league.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:25 am

From everything I've read about him it seems that he's got all the tools to be a top tier WR in the NFL. I guess now it will be a matter of which team he goes to, and how they use him. Also how well he adapts to the league and actually applies the tools he has.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nero » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:36 am

It's like I said a few days ago..

This kid has been shooting up the boards and a lot of teams like him better than Rogers
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:13 am

i like this kid a lot hes got all the skills to be very productive in the NFL. personally i see him going top 5 in the draft. he would be a great addition to any team in the future and is big enought o compete with the top DBs in the league. if you are in a keeper or dynasty league hes definately worth a spot!
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:03 am

Agree with all of you I think he is going to be a great wr. And Home's what happened to your avatar??? 8-o
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joester » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:34 pm

Get used to "Carr to Johnson for the Touchdown!!!!!!!"
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cupertino_11 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:22 am

Or it might be Penny to Johnson....

The New York Jets fueled speculation they would be willing to move up in the draft to select Andre Johnson when they brought in the former Miami Hurricane receiver for a visit to Weeb Ewbank Hall on Wednesday.

The Jets own the 13th and 22nd overall selections, and with Johnson being touted as possibly the third pick in the draft, the Jets would most likely have to part with both first-rounders to have a shot at Johsnon.

But is that too high a price to pay for the Jets?

The Jets no doubt need to do something to turn around an offseason that has seen them lose more talent than they've brought in. Johnson appears to be a good fit for the Jets. He's the type of big receiver (6-3, 227) who excel in West Coast offenses and the kind the Jets have been craving ever since they lost Keyshawn Johnson.

Johnson needs more work on his route-running, but there's no doubting his immense ability. He also possesses sub-4.4 speed that allowed him to win the Big East indoor 60-yard and outdoor 100-yard sprint championships.

And since the Jets replaced Laveranues Coles with the injury-prone and older Curtis Conway, there is a need to bring in a younger wideout who can grow with quarterback Chad Pennignton. But giving up two first-round picks for a wideout who some scouts claim displays only "average" receiving skills is too high a price to pay for the Jets.

GM Terry Bradway said as much last week when he commented he was unsure if there was a player in this draft class he'd be willing to give up two No. 1s for. Still, Johnson was brought in and met with coaches and toured the Jets' facility.

If the Jets did give up their two first-rounders to draft Johnson, it would be unusual for him to make an immediate impact. With the exception of players like Randy Moss, it's the norm for even the most promising wide receivers to struggle their first year. And because the Jets need to add speed to their defense, particularly their linebacking corps, they might be better served keeping the picks.

The Jets could be hoping that he slips until the backside of the top 10. Most mock drafts have him going between third and sixth, but some projections have him sliding to No. 8. If that happens, the Jets could possibly trade with the Jags for Johnson, and the Jets could get away with offering the Jags the No. 13 pick and a third-rounder (No. 85).

That way, the Jets could still keep their second first-round pick to select a quality defender. But unless Johnson slides that far, it wouldn't behoove the Jets to use up all their first-round ammo to get him.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk