MY RB Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

MY RB Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby hardcore » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:37 am

St. Louis

Faulk is old and slow and on the a serious decline.
Turley out for the year makes for depth problems with the O-line. Pace just signed, that may help. I don't think the O-line was average at best last year, I think they will be worse this year with the loss of Turley.

Not sold on Bulger. In fact, I think they will be on the market for a QB after this season because of all the interceptions he'll be throwing. It seems once he is rattled , he breaks down.
I think the defense has less problems than the offense. They won't be good until they get rid of their stupid coach.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Rams coach Mike Martz said he thought his team trailed by only three points in the waning seconds of Thursday night's exhibition game at Oakland.

So he called for a sideline pattern with 9 seconds left to set up a field goal, instead of going for the end zone on the next-to-last play of a game the Rams were actually losing by four points.

The Raiders won 28-24.

"I can't believe I was yelling for a field goal," Martz said. "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach."

Martz thought he saw Oakland bobble the ball on the point after and thought the Raiders missed it after they took a 27-24 lead on a late touchdown pass.

Thirs-string quarterback Jeff "Smoker yelled at me, 'Hey, coach, we're down by four!"' Martz said. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

Martz is notorious for being rough on rookie quarterbacks like Smoker.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... field+goal
hardcore
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby arrbez » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:42 am

hardcore wrote:OK there are 8 things to think about. But if that doesn't swing you a little towards Barlow as a top notch #2 RB then maybe #9 will

yes, but i don't think anyone was arguing that he's not a good #2 RB. by all accounts, he's one of the better #2 RB's to have. but to say he'll score in the top 6 is pretty hard to back up. you could make a list of "good stuff" about every running back in the league, but the fact remains that holmes, tomlinson, green, portis, mcallister, lewis, alexander, and even james have all proven themselves to be elite backs, while barlow still has not

as for shanahan, maybe he thought barlow was the best option at the time, but if barlow was as good as deuce or tomlinson, there would have been no RBBC in san fran the last couple years...
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hardcore » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:57 am

Bookmark this post. All I see is people going off last years performance. That's just plain silly since there is 40-50 % turnover every year. Barlow has the makings of a top 10 Rb and possibly as high as top 6. The minute someone puts up these so called rankings based on last years games, they are wrong.
hardcore
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:30 am

hardcore wrote:Bookmark this post. All I see is people going off last years performance. That's just plain silly since there is 40-50 % turnover every year. Barlow has the makings of a top 10 Rb and possibly as high as top 6. The minute someone puts up these so called rankings based on last years games, they are wrong.

Dude, the first positive thing you said about Barlow was his ypc from last season. Who exactly - besides you - is going off of last yrs performance?

Why didnt you include all of the major changes in SF that will ultimately have a major negative impact on Barlow? Thats the point - everything he's done up to this point means exactly squat - nothing.

Let me ask you this - does talent or situation have a greater impact on numerical performance?
Ill tell you right now I think the answer is situation by far. The point is I really could care less how magnificent Barlow has looked. It simply doesnt matter at this point - the entire situation has changed. SF is a very very bad team. Their below avg D is the best thing they have going for them. They have a new QB who has never impressed anyone at the NFL level. They have no serious WR threat to keep defenses honest. How can you even talk about 5+ypc when you know that was a result of Garcia, TO, Hearst, and plenty of rest? Which of those things are there this yr? none. The only thing Barlow will know is 8 in the box and 3 and out - get used to hearing the broadcasters say those phrases a lot.

I would love it if you stuck around long enough for me to dig this thread up in a few months. I doubt you will be around, but stranger things have happened I guess.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:41 am

Am I crazy for thinking Alexander should be third? He's a TD machine and he's consistent. Green's injuries worry me a bit, and I can see Portis having a bit of a down year in Washington...
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby i_am_the_one » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:07 am

I took J. Lewis at 1.9 last night. I followed up with Barlow at 2.4. Then I was compelled to take T. Owens at 3.2. My 4th round pick at 4.11 was T. Henry. I think Barlow has the stuff. With a mediocre WR & Qb they have to run the ball. If they get down early, I see more dump off passes to him. They also play cardinals twice so that is also a bonus.
i_am_the_one
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hardcore » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:17 am

<How can you even talk about 5+ypc when you know that was a result of Garcia, TO, Hearst, and plenty of rest? Which of those things are there this yr?>

Garcia sucks, just ask the Cleveland Browns. Garcia was a lousy passer. Rattay clearly is a better passer. Hearst, you mean he 3rd string on Denver...yea he was real threat. The whole point is the O never revolved around TO- that's WHY HE WANTED OUT. B. Llyod and Woods are solid receivers that will compensate for the loss.

<I would love it if you stuck around long enough for me to dig this thread up in a few months. I doubt you will be around, but stranger things have happened I guess.>

Oh I'll be around. Somehow, have this feeling that I'll be stuffing crow down your throat. 4 wins huh?, I'd wipe you clean if you ever wanted to stand by your statement.
hardcore
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:00 am

hardcore wrote:<How can you even talk about 5+ypc when you know that was a result of Garcia, TO, Hearst, and plenty of rest? Which of those things are there this yr?>

Garcia sucks, just ask the Cleveland Browns. Garcia was a lousy passer. Rattay clearly is a better passer. Hearst, you mean he 3rd string on Denver...yea he was real threat. The whole point is the O never revolved around TO- that's WHY HE WANTED OUT. B. Llyod and Woods are solid receivers that will compensate for the loss.

:-? :-o 8-o :-b

good luck this season hardcore. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby andus » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:07 am

hardcore wrote:Third-string quarterback Jeff "Smoker yelled at me, 'Hey, coach, we're down by four!"' Martz said. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

Martz is truly the most pompous ass in football.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:37 am

The only thing that can stop Barlow from top-10 production this year is an injury. Note: I do think the 49'ers will be crappy this year, and win between 4 and 8 games, but the sheer magnitude of touches Barlow will get (with Jamal Robertson backing him up, and an inexperienced QB/WR corps) will push him to fantasy greatness.

Even if his ypc drops from 5.1 to 3.5, 330+ carries, 50+ receptions, and a QB that wont vulture rushing TDs like Garcia did should be enough.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk