Strength of Schedule? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strength of Schedule?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strength of Schedule?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:14 am

Since last week when the 2003 schedule came out, I've read several articles on how a team's strength of schedule will affect a player's fantasy value. I see how this could be true, but I'm curious (to all you vets out there) as to how much emphasis you put on strength of shedule when drafting.

For example.....if picking in the 6th slot and Deuce McAllister and Shaun Alexander are available. How much of a factor in choosing is it that the Saints have the 18th toughest schedule whereas the Seahawks are sitting pretty with the 28th?
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:25 am

For me usually its not something I worry about with studs and starters,,,although when looking for reserves always picking a player who has a weak opponent is a good thing...........and just curious...how could you debate over Deuce and Shaun...............thats a no brainer ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D j/k
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby slowkidz » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:43 am

yep...Deuce all the way!! hehehe ;-D
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:45 am

ya know slow is just kiddin',,,,, he looooooooovvves Alexander and he thinks all of you should too!!!!!
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Roseman » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:20 am

I dont usually worry about strength of schedule when drafting but I will look at the schedule on a week to week basis on try to get the best matchup possible with some of my fringe players.

My studs always start(except on byes) no matter who there oppenent is that week. I have Deuce in my keeper league and one week I was hesitant to start him against TB because he was coming off that ankle injury last season. When it came down to it I just said screw it I will start him and cross my fingers and he came up with a good game.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:56 am

This is actually a good point, I dont know of anyone who gives this serious consideration, but if you think about it, for the not so studly players this could be all the difference.

Im lazy though and so making a fixture list for every team and checking it before I draft a player (given Ive usually had 8 beers by the time the back ups are being drafted) , well its not likely to happen LOL
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:01 am

I don't really use strength of schedule at all. Not with picking studs or so called fringe players. I pick the best available talent (my opinion of course) suited to what I need on my team at that point.

Strength of schedule to me doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL. You know the old saying..."Any given Sunday..." So with one team able to beat any other team on any given day strength of schedule to me doesn't matter.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:02 am

On draft day, the strength of schedule does not matter to me. I do my own projections, and I usually take the strength of schedule into account when doing my projections.

BUT I take them into account slightly different than just taking the schedule as a whole. I calculate what I think each player will get in each game, and I base my calculations depending on the defensive talent they are playing. Thus, against SD I lower my rushing projections, but increase passing/receiving projections. Against Dallas, I raise rushing projections, and lower passing/receiving projections, etc.

For the fringe players - usually rounds 11 and later - I look for players that may be taking easy teams in week 15 and 16 (FF playoffs), and give them just a slight nod.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:30 am

I won't actually look at all the teams' schedules, but I take into consideration what division they're in. For example, knowing there's a good chance Vick will be useless in the two games he faces Tampa drops him some. Buffalo & NE should be much better on D next year so that might drop Ricky Williams a spot or two. The weakness of secondaries in the NFC West moves Hasslebeck up my list some, etc.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:51 pm

The only time you should worry about the schedule is when you're deliberating on choosing a player with a bye week during your playoffs.

Everything else is extraneous.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk