Rumor Alert!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rumor Alert!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rumor Alert!!

Postby slowkidz » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:37 pm

DALLAS DRAFTNIK PETE ACTON JR. WAS ON WFAN OVERNIGHT TALKING THE NFL DRAFT ETC. HE IMPLIES THAT DALLAS/CLEVELAND HAVE DISCUSSED A DEAL FOR TIM COUCH--HERE'S THE DEAL AS BEST AS I COULD GET IT: Dallas is about $6 million under the cap, so they do not have enough room to take on Couch's money in exchange for just a draft pick. But, Dallas would be inclined to trade with Cleveland if Cleveland were to take on Dexter Coakley's contract (5 years, $25 million). The trade would be Couch and Cleveland's #1 pick for Dallas #1 pick and Coakley. Campo likes the move because he likes Coakley's size and speed-- and Cleveland needs linebackers. Dallas likes the move because they get to unload Coakley-- who has underachieved since getting the big deal, and because Parcells does not like small linebackers (see Ted Johnson, the entire Giants defense, etc.). Plus, Dallas gets Couch, who makes big money (neither Hutchinson nor Carter do) but who does not need a really strong arm to perform well in Sean Payton/Maurice Carthon's system. Cleveland wants to use the #5 pick in the draft to take either Kyle Boller or Byron Leftwich -- they favor Leftwich. Dallas and Cleveland say they will not move on such a trade until the morning of the draft because they don't want to tip their hand to teams drafting immediately behind them. AS HEARD ON WFAN OVERNIGHT

oh i can only hope and dream that this day actually comes!!! <sigh>
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:32 pm

damn slow that would be awesome for cleveland...

im rootin for it! ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:33 pm

Makes sense for both teams, it seems to me. Maybe Couch will bloom in Dallas, and become a star.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Roseman » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:58 pm

LOL :-)

I guess the nightmare is over and your prayers have been answered Slow!!!

Seem like an intresting deal that can benefit both teams!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby VIPER » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:48 pm

Slow!!! You know you really don't want Tiiimaaaaay to go.

It would however be a good move for both teams.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:21 am

If they're planning on using the #5 to pick Boller or Leftwich, then they must not think much of Holcombe. I'd think he would do very well running the offense and the #5 pick could be used on possibly Newman if he's there.

Sounds like a fair trade either way though.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:57 am

Holcombe knows the offense better than Couch does right now. I think the trade, and drafting a new, younger QB isn't a bad idea. Couch is wasting the team's time and $$ IMO. Holcombe is young enough to lead the team right now, but is also old enough to be a good mentor for a younger, stronger QB. It also helps when you have the whole team morale behind you, unlike Timm-mmmaayyy.

Another rumor I've heard floating around is that Davis may be interested in Ken Dorsey. He likes the kids talent and potential, and may be a good steal in the later rounds of the draft. Dorsey is reportedly in the top 15 of QBs in the draft, but is not expected to go before the 4th or 5th round of the NFL Draft. This would be an interesting development if it were to happen. Not only will Couch have to worry about Holcombe trying to take his job, there will be another new guy on the block just waiting for his chance to shine!! Not to mention that the other new guy was highly sought after in Miami during Davis' heyday as coach.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:08 am

Hmmm Parcells was bad mouthing Couch this past season, so whats changed ?

No go im afraid Slow :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Nero » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:36 am

Homeless wrote:Hmmm Parcells was bad mouthing Couch this past season, so whats changed ?

What..you've never talked down the value of a player you really did want to get?
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DUKE » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:16 am

That's an interesting trade. I think Cleveland would be getting the better end of that deal if it actually went down. It would truly be a dream come true for you Slow. Hey Parcells, you want Akili too?
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Next

Return to Football Talk