Stomach This: Jerry Porter Could be HUGE! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stomach This: Jerry Porter Could be HUGE!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stomach This: Jerry Porter Could be HUGE!

Postby shortsavage » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:41 am

According to a Rotoworld.com update that cited the San Jose Mercury News as its source, Jerry Porter did not fully recover from surgery to fix his stomach wall in the second week of the 2003-2004 season.

Now healthy, the beast of a reciever that has been seemlying denied the right to stardom by a system that allocates the ball as evenly as the surface of an unbothered swimming pool could force Oakland to look his way with much more frequency.

Thank you Tiki!
shortsavage Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:17 am

Its also interesting to note that Porter will be used as a posession reciever - in the same way Brown was used. The season where he had like 8-9 TDs he was used as a slot/big play WR. It should be interesting to see how his role will shape his potential.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:40 pm

I'm wondering if by "possession WR" they mean that he's going to be getting more balls thrown his way. I love Rice, but he's nothing more than a possession guy himself right now so why start 2 especially if Porter's got the speed to get open deep?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RehamMizzou » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:59 pm

If Gannon does start and hold his job, he no longer has the arm strength to really utilize a deep threat. So then its not as much as using him as a possesion reciever as it is no reciever is allowed to run more than 15-20 yards down field.

Now if Collins takes the job, LOOK OUT! He will used more like a Randy Moss. Throw the ball up and let him go get it. Besides Champ Bailey, there are no true shut down corners in the AFC West. 6 games against them could provide some decent stats.
RehamMizzou
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:38 pm

In regard to Gannon's weak arm, the one thing he does do is to hit the receiver on the fly. With a big fast WR like Porter this means getting him the ball at speed against smaller secondaries. His YAC should be huge and TDs will be there for him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby klgreen1973 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:58 pm

I think he could be HUGE too. He is big, tall, fast and can out jump most, is not all, DB's. He also does not mind going over the middle to catch balls...in that respect, he is the "anti-Moss" ;-).
klgreen1973
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby foam » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:11 pm

I hope Porter does well... I stole him from another manager for the over-hyped McGahee...
foam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasizing » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:19 pm

Porter didn't do sh!t when last season when he returned from injury so why should we expect monster performances starting sunday?
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:13 pm

Porter is primed for a great campaign this year. I have him in a couple leagues so I am hoping he can step it up.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:13 pm

Porter is primed for a great campaign this year. I have him in a couple leagues so I am hoping he can step it up.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk