WAIVERS --- WAS 2002 A FLUKE? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WAIVERS --- WAS 2002 A FLUKE?

Moderator: Football Moderators

WAIVERS --- WAS 2002 A FLUKE?

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:28 pm

Last season was my first of playing draft-style fantasy football, and I can't help wondering if all of that great waiver talent, even late into the season, was a fluke. Was it?

In one of my 12-team leagues last year I posted that I could pick a free agent team and beat half the managed teams one week ... not only did I come through on my boast (beating my own drafted team in the process----grrrr) but I actually beat 8 of the drafted teams (instead of 6).

Will we see the equivalent of Marc Bulger or Chad Pennington sitting in the waiver pool this year? Will all of the Cleveland receivers be in the free agent pool because noone trusts any of them on a weekly basis? Ditto Washington's receivers? Will people once again be slow to respond to emerging WR talents?

Or ... was last year a fluke? Am I going to look at the 2003 waivers and shake my head and think, "It was all decided on draft day"?

Opinions? Experiences with waivers in seasons past? Let's hear what you think.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:00 pm

Will all of the Cleveland receivers be in the free agent pool because noone trusts any of them on a weekly basis?...lmao.....how true is that?!...very!...

as far as waivers go, they will always be players there for the picking...as long as a player can get injured they will be someone waiting in the wings to take their place....if i have to say the past season biggest waiver pickups were....2 years back ill go with Shawn Alexander and last year Donald Driver......theres 2 guys that will be poss 1st and 2nd round picks this year......i expect to find somone on waivers....i have even talked to people that depend on it for atleast one sleeper every year..

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:10 pm

Good point DD.

I cant see there being anywhere near as much talent on the wire as there was in 02. Some will slip through the net and surprise us this year, but most if not all of the 02 surprise players will either be starters or sitting on someones bench.

It made for a good year though, being able to grab someone like Pennington off the wire !
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:20 pm

The Wire is always the best place to find sleepers and bargains...I'd just call it the "Dollar Store" of Fantasy Football. Every year I've found someone just hanging out on the wire, minding their own beeswax...and then <snap> I'd swoop down and gram em!!

Last year was great for waivers...I see this year being almost as good with the current selection out there. Some people will either forget about them and go back to the studs, or even call them one year wonders (which some were). I think guys will still be out there and ready for the swoop. You just have to keep your eyes peeled and your trigger finger on the mouse button to make sure you get there before another team does! ;-D
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby converge241 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:21 pm

yes they will always be there because you will always have gms who

a) dont pay attention to the waiver wire due to laziness/whatever
b) they dont pay attention due to just assuming someone already has Player X

i find guys every year that i triple check that no one has them because i cant believe no one picked him up already
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DUKE » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:33 pm

Good post DD. I think we'll see some pretty nice waiver wire aquisitions. One way I made out huge on my team last year was watching Clinton Portis's success in the pre-season. I took him, though he wasn't penciled as the starter, and hoped he'd get his time to shine. He sat on the shelf for a few weeks, but ended up being huge (I wish it were a keeper league :~( ). I'm not a proponent of keeping your key player's backups because of space issues on your roster. Instead, I try and stay on top of the health on the players on my roster, and count on them being there on a weekly basis.

The waiver-wire Rules!
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby VIPER » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:44 pm

Good post and question DD. I think there will always be waiver wire pickups in certain areas. One area in paticular is defense. I won my league last year in part using this strategy. I would check the match-up and see if there was a defense playing the Lions or the Texans etc. and try to get my 20 pts. ;-)
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Slingblade » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:30 pm

2003 wont be as good as 2002 was....there wont be a portis on the wire....but maybe a couple decent pick-ups
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:13 am

Most of my leagues drafted Pennington, Portis, and Driver in the preseason-draft, so they were not available on the waiver wire.

I just don't believe in any of my leagues, you would have been able to pick up free agents in one week, that would have beat 8 of the teams, but that was last year!

I do believe you need to watch the wire, and make good acquisitions throughout the year. Most of my leagues are not first come, first served in Free Agency however, so the worst teams get the first cracks at the free agent of the week. Thus, it is not always easy to get a great free agent, if your team is doing quite well.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:12 am

the WW is always plentiful especially with todays game. so many players move from one team to the next so new positional players and rooks are forced to step up when normally the wouldnt. also as with any sport there are injuries but footballs % is higher because guys beat the snot out of each other.

dont forget as well most WW pickups are taken to fill holes not to be an every week starter so that means with enough dedication you probably could keep tabs on the no name guys and find matchups for them to exploit.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk