No Hockey in 2004!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

No Hockey in 2004!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

No Hockey in 2004!!

Postby Roseman » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:13 am

This is not good news for you Hockey Fans.

Goodenow: NHLPA won't take a cap
TSN.ca Staff
4/20/2003

Some very strong words came from the NHL Player's Association over the weekend, with a warning that there might be no hockey for some time after the current labour deal expires in 2004.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has said on several occasions that without a salary cap, many teams in the league will simply run out of gas.
NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow made his response to newspapers in Philadelphia Saturday.
"There will never be a salary cap," he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I've told the players to be prepared for a long lockout by the owners. It may last a year, it may last two or three years, but we will never accept a salary cap. This isn't the NFL. I'm confident the players are prepared for whatever happens."
The current collective agreement between the NHL and the NHL Players Association expires in September 2004.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:38 am

Oh man ! lets start calling it baseball !

Im sick of these grossly over paid bastages looking for more and more money. :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:57 am

I've never been able to get too into Hockey. But, I wish every sport were able to take a similar approach that the NFL does in terms of the salary cap. Hockey seems to be a mess right now.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby thelongestyard » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:22 am

*sigh* Here we go again....Settlement somewhere around mid Oct. '04....owners buckling once more....players hitting the ice with fat rolling out over their skates.....injuries.....higher salaries and ticket prices.......Yay!!!.....have learned to enjoy minor league Hockey more, but may have to move up to PeeWee leagues to see the players play the game they love.....
thelongestyard
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:35 am

no more hockey?????

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

oh....umm....i mean...uh....gosh...um...that sux....

and on a sidenote...if a settlement cannot be reached, does that mean all of the dentists in canada and major hockey cities have to retire too? hehehe
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:49 am

I like hockey and I love watching it, espcecially come playoff time. That being said hockey players must be the biggest idiots on the planet.

Hello? Pro hockey players? Do you have a brain? Have you heard of the Pittsburgh Penguins: bankrupt. The Ottawa Senators: bankrupt. I think there are a few more teams on the verge. Don't they realize that if these teams go bankrupt that it seriously effects the league as a whole and not in a positive manner?

Homeless hit it right on the head. Just looking for more money. Like they aren't making enough.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Indy Dragons » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:08 pm

I'll have to jump on the other side here, and see where it takes me:

If owners would be honest about what they make from the team, we might be able to actually have a deal. The players have to watch out for themselves, because they never know when the last game is for them!!

Grossly overpaid? I used to think so. What is the highest salary for a hockey player?

I know Arnold Swarzenegger made at least $30 MILLION for Terminator 3!!!!
How much does Letterman make for his little nightly show? How much does Oprah make for her little talk show?

Talk about OVERPAID!!!!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Roseman » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:03 pm

Being a Canadian and a Hockey Fan(of course) I have answers to all your questions

The reason that the Sens and Pens are bankrup have nothing to do with them not making money it has to do with bonehead owners that dont know how to manage money properly. The Sens and Pens both got taken to the cleaners with there new areas they drastically overpaid and there owners didnt put proper finacing in place before they even broke ground. The Sens for example have also been bailed out many times from bankruptcy and end up there again because bonehead has no idea how to run a business.

The salaries in the NHL I think to lowest on average compared to the othe major sports and they are just starting to make huge jumps mostly thanks to the NY Rangers and there overspending they put in place in the last two years. I can see what the league is trying to do by wanting a cap to control this overspending.

I live in Toronto and the hardest ticket to get in this city is a Leafs ticket and even if you can get one you have to give your left leg and name you first born after a Leaf just to get a respectable seat. Not that prices for tickets will go down but if a cap were in place then I cant see them rasieing them. A cap might be good for all sports but they have to do it right learn from the NFL and dont make the same mistakes. I know that the bonehead in NY(Bettman) will screw it up some how he has already done a lot of damage to the NFL all ready!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:32 pm

my hallergees to de overpaid babies has returned.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:06 pm

And just to add to this little brouhaha, the WHL is looking to make a comeback. 8-o

Think the players love the idea of mentioning that they have "other options" during negotiations?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk