Browns news : White and Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns news : White and Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns news : White and Johnson

Postby converge241 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:24 am

from fanball

jamel:

The News
Free agent running back Jamel White signed the Browns' one-year, $1.318 million tender on Friday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported. The move helps to remove some obstacles that the Browns would have had if attempting to trade White. "Jamel wants to be a Brown," explained agent Josh Wright. "By the same token, he realizes signing [the tender] frees the Browns to make whatever decisions they need to make on draft day." New England, Dallas, and Houston are reportedly three of the teams interested in White.
Our View
We expect White to be one of the bigger names floating around on draft day. With a questionable crop of talent available in the draft, many teams think a move to obtain White makes more sense.

KJ:

The Browns' crowded receiving corps could be trimmed on draft day if Cleveland can find a new home for Kevin Johnson, the Dayton Daily News reported. According to the Daily News, head coach Butch Davis will dangle Johnson as bait in return for a second or third round pick.
Our View
The Browns' receiving corps was a nightmare for fantasy owners to figure out in 2002, and Cleveland could clear things up with such a deal. Quincy Morgan and Dennis Northcutt would move up the fantasy receiver ranks if Johnson departs.

makes william green and quincy morgan more attractive, IMO
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:45 am

There are trades talks about KJ every year. Johnson is a good player, and could do well with another team, but i just don't see him leaving. Cleveland has invested too much time and $$ into him thus far. If anything, I'd expect a trade to take place after this season, if not a cut...

White has expressed interest in staying put since their last game. Cleveland won't get rid of him right now, unless they get a really, really good offer for him. There has been some speculation about whether or not the Browns will take an RB during the upcoming draft. I don't see why at this point. Green is a solid RB who runs and hits the holes hard. White is a great compliment, seeing how he is more of a WR/RB combo with great hands and a good head on his shoulders.

There may be a blockbuster trade done on draft day...But I would see that trade being Couch instead of White....Just for the simple fact that there is WAAYYYY too much $$ tied up in Couch's contract and some one (coughDALLAScough) will be willing to take up that risk...ummm...I mean acquire him.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joester » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:06 pm

Well at least Couch would be an improvement from Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter!!!
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:25 pm

If White is wanting to stay, then I think Clevland's running game should be fine. Green looked very good at the end of the season, and should get a majority of the carries and White is a great compliment to his style with his recieving and as a speedy third down back.

I think KJ is a good reciever and I think he'd definitely be worth a third round pick. I hope it's KJ over Couch, because then Slow wouldn't be as inclined to rant about him anymore. :-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Homeless » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:38 pm

Slowkidz wrote:There may be a blockbuster trade done on draft day...But I would see that trade being Couch instead of White....Just for the simple fact that there is WAAYYYY too much $$ tied up in Couch's contract and some one (coughDALLAScough) will be willing to take up that risk...ummm...I mean acquire him.

Wishful thinking there Slow. much as it makes sense to the layman to make such a trade, I think the deal he has will keep him there for another couple yrs. Does it have clauses, like performance etc ? is it actually public ? i'd like to check it out.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:37 pm

Im sure it is out there somewhere homey....just not sure where...

as for Couch's contract...he has been paid tons of dollars for absolutely nothing! Which I really can't blame him for since it was the Browns Management and his Agents that negotiated the deal. If someone were to flash a hefty contract in my face, I'd take it too...Here is an excerpt that a fellow Browns fan wrote...

Before you auto-delete my posts, In Couch's defense...

Why should Tim lighten the load? He's dealing from a position of great strength in this. I feel bad for the overall situation Tim Couch finds himself in right now. It is NOT of his making. There is not a big differentiation between him and his competition for starting, yet he is being compensated among the top few players in all of football. He is the victim of his own contract, negotiated by people he is counting on to look after his interests, and he may soon suffer the indignity of being cut or traded for virtually nothing and his career will be defined by that. His Golden Boy image is long dead. Maybe that doesn't matter to him - it doesn't seem to bother fellow millionaire Ryan Leaf (and no I don't think Couch is near as bad as Leaf). In Couch's defense, NO single player in pro football could justify the compensation he is scheduled to receive this year and especially next year. Not one! Someone somewhere steered him wrong with respect to his desire to be thought of as an elite player and had to know the deal could not stand as is this deep into it, unless they were completely oblivious to how the cap works. Which brings Carmen The Shyster to mind... a sleazeball who has an established history of mismanaging the cap. The most positive move this organization could make during this offseason is not to draft a star linebacker or cornerback or offensive lineman, it would be to surgically remove the malignant tumor in this organization that is called Carmen Policy.

Couch has pocketed tens of millions of the Browns money (financed by fans patronizing overpriced tickets, beverages, slop food, and garb) which has certainly not been justified by his on field play, so he isn't by any means a pity-able figure in this melodrama. The worst thing that will happen to him is he is released and his current contract torn to shreds, and he'd have to start from scratch negotiating with other teams from a purely VALUE standpoint, which is much lower than his current contract.

BUT The worst scenario for the Browns has already happened... they've invested TENS of millions of dollars in a player who did not produce value for what they invested for whatever reason. Someone else is certainly going to reap the reward of the Browns' investment in time and money to date because the Browns simply cannot afford to carry that contract any longer. They paid for Couch's development such as it is, and another team will pick it up from here, likely at a renegotiated discount rate. The cap hit due to his bonuses is already set in stone - restructuring is just a matter of how they choose to amortize it, but do they really want to exacerbate the problem by also accepting the additional cap burden of those $7Million PLUS roster salary years? The only leverage the Browns have is
if they trade him for ANYTHING of value, or release him and make a counter-offer that slashes his salary, but still is above what others will offer. The mismanagement of the Browns bankrupt cap finances makes this impossible.

The Browns would be foolish to keep ANY player with that contract even if he were the MVP (who doesn't make as much BTW), much less a player who hasn't opened much daylight between his own performance and his backup who makes a meager fraction of his compensation in this current salary
cap-limited world of pro football. I hope Courtney and Gerard are watching closely, because their careers are on the line too.

The days of not suffering significant pain for really poor management of the draft and FA acquisitions are long gone. This Browns management has handed both exceptionally poorly. I don't begrudge Couch for whatever he was given by this management. Front offices can no longer hide from their
accountability - they are ultimately responsible for this terrible
situation, and it's high time they are held to that accountability.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:19 pm

i like KJ and think he would be well worth any wr needing teams' 3rd rounder and probably a 2nd.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dirtywurm » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:27 pm

KJ would be a good fit in Philly. He could be reunited with McNabb.
dirtywurm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:13 am

Thats a great write up there Slow, that guy hits the nail on the head, its simple yet complex. Throwing good money after bad is a human trait, weve all done it, just not on this scale haha

Personally im torn, I think they should cut and run by trading him, but they wont get much, I also believe and heres where im torn, they will give him one more shot at it. So guys like you have to endure one more season. :~(
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:21 am

Here is a response that I found regarding sending Couch to Dallas. It's written by a Dallas fan, who lives in Pittsburgh...Don't know if we should hold that against him...but here it goes...

Re: Couch-to-Dallas Updated!

Couch has taken a beating over the few years of playing time he has actually been on the field, and he definitely shows the wear and tear more than one would hope. I grant that he has the desire to hang in there, but unfortunately his performance suffers greatly when he gets pounded. He has some guts, yes, but that doesn't translate into performance in the middle of a beating.

His leadership skills are also subpar. The Browns players seem to rally around Holcomb more than Couch. I don't care what anyone wants to say about the Steeler secondary in that playoff game, the Steelers strength has never been their secondary, it has always been in their linebackers and D-line. They don't call this place Blitz-burgh for nothing. Holcomb faced it and had them in an excellent position to win that playoff game. I think it was
Holcombs performance in that game that gave him the advantage over Couch in the eyes of the Cleveland coaches and management. Couch has never had a performance like that against the Steelers. A lot has been said on this thread about Couch langiuishing against the Steelers without a running game
to help him, and Holcomb's performance is chocked up to William Green's running prowess. Yet, Couch was only 16 of 29 for no touchdowns and 2 interceptions in the first game against the Steelers last year, and THAT WAS EVEN WITH JAMEL WHITE's 105 YARDS RUSHING ON 16 CARRIES. How much help does Couch need from the running game in order to play well?

As I said before, here in the Burgh, everybody loves Couch as the Cleveland QB. There is a lot more confidence in the black and gold when Couch is on the field and Holcomb is on the sidelines. Tunch Ilkin, the former Steeler OT and one of the regular local radio commentators for the Steeler games,
has been very vocal about preferring to see Couch Qb'ing against Pittsburgh over Holcomb. There was the feeling in his conversations that Couch didn't have it in him to get the Browns to the end of the game for a win even though they were leading at the time, and he was right.

If Couch comes at a discount and is a stop-gap for us, OK, but if we think he is going to lead us to the promised land and we break the bank to get him, we will wake up from our dream in the middle of next season and realize we have taken a giant step backwards.

Call it Couch bashing if you will, but take a close look at this guy before we consider him to be our missing ingredient for success. Sober analysis is not fun when we would rather embark on flights of fantasy, I know, but we cannot afford to be wreckless with our future after two 5-11 seasons.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk