First overall pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First overall pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

First overall pick

Postby DrooFox » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:37 am

Even though drafting is a while away for most fantasy leagues, I already know that I have the first overall pick in this year's draft. Who would you take? Faulk? Holmes? Williams? It's seriously confusing. Hope someone can help me out.
DrooFox

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:50 am

If the draft was today, I'd take Portis #1. If, by draft day, Holmes is playing in pre-season games, running full speed, and everyone claims he's 100%, I'd take Holmes.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:51 am

I'd go with LT ;-D

With Brees improving, Boston to take the heat off of LT and Neal blocking...Look for a MONSTER season from him!!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Indy Dragons » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:15 pm

Depends on the scoring system, but I would seriously consider taking the Tampa Bay Bucs D/ST with that first pick!!

Seriously, it does depend on the scoring system just a bit. If you get a point per reception, you almost have to go with LT2. If you don't get a point per reception, then Portis or even R. Williams or even McAllister (as New Orleans is building a heck of an offense). IF Holmes is 100%, you have to take him over any of the others - almost. Also if this is a dynasty league, you should stick to LT2 or Portis or McAllister.

I don't see how you can go wrong either way, and it really comes down to your preference. Of course, if you are in my league, then you should consider a D/ST with that first pick.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Roseman » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:38 pm

Depending on the health of Holmes he is your # 1. If you dont feel like taking that risk I would go with LT2. It does also depend on you scoring system if your league gives bonus' for passing then a QB can be more valuable?
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby joester » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:03 pm

Definently go with Tomlinson. Last year the defense put 9 guys in the box most of the time but they wont be able to do that this seaosn with brees and boston, so he should explode this season. ;-D
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:20 pm

I know this,,,,,,,,,,don't go with Portis,,,,,,,,don't go with Faulk............only go with Holmes if he 100% healthy even then,,,, you should be going for LDT....notice I did'nt even mention Ricky.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Homeless » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:39 pm

If healthy, Holmes, if not, LT.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kashikis » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:55 am

slow summed it up well and i think you have to go with LT here. Holmes is an injury risk and whether he runs good or not at the BEGINNING of the season doesnt clear up the questions if his conditioning will hold out ALL season to the rigorous beating he will take from the high workload.

basically it comes down to this for me you could make arguments for priest, ricky and LT as top RB last year. only one has seen his stock rise since then LT. priest is down from injury, ricky is unchanged hes damn good, but LT has gone up with the aquisitions to his team previously mentioned and is younger than the others.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Ricky

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:00 am

Ricky's stock isn't really unchanged. Defensive improvements in the AFC East make it likely that he's going to have a tougher time this year within his division. Add in that QB and WRs are still question marks, and Ricky becoming one of this year's Big Three is on the unlikely side---even more so if Davis, Faulk, James, or Holmes return to form. Williams may end up clawing at a Top Ten spot.

I have to agree that LDT will be the safe pick among top RBs (as safe as choosing any football player can be), but I'd be alot happier not having to draft him until the 4th pick or later, given a choice of draft position.

9er Fan may be onto something with Portis; he will definitely be high on my draft list. Most of the "question marks" I drafted early last year bit me in the butt before the season was over, so I will be hesitant to grab Faulk or Holmes.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk