hurricane Ivan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

hurricane Ivan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:32 am

will they consider moving it to SATURDAY????
Image
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5422
Joined: 6 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby nebula » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:45 am

Canadian Seahawk wrote:will they consider moving it to SATURDAY????


They are considering this option. Fisher said that the team was preparing as if the game were on Saturday. Seems odd that there isn't much news on this.

Best of luck to all in Florida.
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 460
Joined: 1 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wanna_be_guru » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:00 am

U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
wanna_be_guru
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 43
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby zombiez » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:56 am

wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way
Image
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1633
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am

Zombiez wrote:
wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way


I don't really fell bad for them at all.

This happens EVERY YEAR, yet they choose to put themselves right in line for more hurricanes next August/September. Then, when one inevitably hits them, a disaster is called and insurance companies dish out billions, raising rates for all people who pay for insurance.

You hear these stories and feel bad, but should you? I don't think so. Picture this as if it was a long time ago. If people's huts got mowed down every August/September, you think they might find a new spot to live? Probably. Yet the Floridians use insurance money to build bigger and better houses each year or every few years.

They are using the rest of the country (Red Cross, Relief Workers, Insurance Companies, Government, etc) because they choose to live in harm's way. I don't feel bad for them at all.

It's like building sandcastles on the beach or a hut on top of Old Faithful. At a regular interval, they'll be destroyed.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:18 am

This has been the worst hurricane season I can remember. 3 of these things coming ashore, man, good luck Fla.
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Postby wanna_be_guru » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:43 am

Damn....Brutally that was pretty harsh. My dad lived in Jacksonville for 6 years and didn't see a Hurricane. He moved back to KY (where I am) a few months ago. And saying that living in a hurricane proned area is their own fault. Where are they going to move to. The mid west where tornadoes can do just as much damage. Or how about to California where earthquakes happen. How about the north east with blizzards. Natural disasters happen everywhere at some point in time. I feel bad for them and their families, and wish them the best.

What I really want to know is why is nobody talking about the hurricane messing up the Ten/Miami game? What is the NFL going to do?
wanna_be_guru
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 43
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:53 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Zombiez wrote:
wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way


I don't really fell bad for them at all.

This happens EVERY YEAR, yet they choose to put themselves right in line for more hurricanes next August/September. Then, when one inevitably hits them, a disaster is called and insurance companies dish out billions, raising rates for all people who pay for insurance.

You hear these stories and feel bad, but should you? I don't think so. Picture this as if it was a long time ago. If people's huts got mowed down every August/September, you think they might find a new spot to live? Probably. Yet the Floridians use insurance money to build bigger and better houses each year or every few years.

They are using the rest of the country (Red Cross, Relief Workers, Insurance Companies, Government, etc) because they choose to live in harm's way. I don't feel bad for them at all.

It's like building sandcastles on the beach or a hut on top of Old Faithful. At a regular interval, they'll be destroyed.


You really do have a heart of gold.

I think that you are misinformed though. The costs of an unanticipated disaster would be defrayed by all individuals that pay insurace. Regular ones or higher risk ones such as hurricane insurance in Fla and earthquake insurance in Cali are funded by those that purchase the insurance. Hurricane insurance in Arizona would be dirt cheap but is several thousand dollars/year in Fla. So they support themselves.

Hurricane insurance is so expensive in Fla that many go without it - Link. If you don't want to donate to help these people then you don't have to - just like you are not forced to donate to help the victims of 9/11 or the victims of California earthquakes and forest fires.

Just curious - are you saying that nobody should live in Fla? Should people live in California? What do you mean by "living in harms way"?
Image

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3067
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Livin in a powderkeg and givin off sparks

Postby nebula » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:02 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Zombiez wrote:
wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way


I don't really fell bad for them at all.

This happens EVERY YEAR, yet they choose to put themselves right in line for more hurricanes next August/September. Then, when one inevitably hits them, a disaster is called and insurance companies dish out billions, raising rates for all people who pay for insurance.

You hear these stories and feel bad, but should you? I don't think so. Picture this as if it was a long time ago. If people's huts got mowed down every August/September, you think they might find a new spot to live? Probably. Yet the Floridians use insurance money to build bigger and better houses each year or every few years.

They are using the rest of the country (Red Cross, Relief Workers, Insurance Companies, Government, etc) because they choose to live in harm's way. I don't feel bad for them at all.

It's like building sandcastles on the beach or a hut on top of Old Faithful. At a regular interval, they'll be destroyed.


Sounds like someone’s stance on public policy.
I'm with you lets wish harm and suffering on them.

W_B_Guru I know what ya mean. I've been worried about C Brown for three days only to find one little blurb on espn.com. I think the NFL is hope'n that they don't have to do anything but it would be nice to know of an alternate plan.
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 460
Joined: 1 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:14 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
You really do have a heart of gold.

I think that you are misinformed though. The costs of an unanticipated disaster would be defrayed by all individuals that pay insurace. Regular ones or higher risk ones such as hurricane insurance in Fla and earthquake insurance in Cali are funded by those that purchase the insurance. Hurricane insurance in Arizona would be dirt cheap but is several thousand dollars/year in Fla. So they support themselves.

Hurricane insurance is so expensive in Fla that many go without it - Link. If you don't want to donate to help these people then you don't have to - just like you are not forced to donate to help the victims of 9/11 or the victims of California earthquakes and forest fires.

Just curious - are you saying that nobody should live in Fla? Should people live in California? What do you mean by "living in harms way"?


Don't waste your breath. Trying to talk sense to somebody with that kind of mentality is a total waste of time.

Ivan is one scary S.O.B. Looking at the projections, I can't see how it's going to miss us.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:09 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact