hurricane Ivan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

hurricane Ivan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:20 am

i thjink the game will get in, then Ivan will destroy Miami. poor dolphins, they just can't get any breaks.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:20 am

i thjink the game will get in, then Ivan will destroy Miami. poor dolphins, they just can't get any breaks.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby xbird » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:45 pm

For what it is worth, Fisher has the Titans prepared for a Saturday
game. My guesss is Saturday night game, and get the hell out
of Miami.
xbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Trap » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:47 pm

My opponent this week has McNair and Brown. I'm hoping for a rainout. ;-D
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ammotroop » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:52 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1877994

Here is the Latest! The coaches have agrees now waiting on the NFL!
Draft on Aug 11th!!!
ammotroop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:53 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You really do have a heart of gold.

I think that you are misinformed though. The costs of an unanticipated disaster would be defrayed by all individuals that pay insurace. Regular ones or higher risk ones such as hurricane insurance in Fla and earthquake insurance in Cali are funded by those that purchase the insurance. Hurricane insurance in Arizona would be dirt cheap but is several thousand dollars/year in Fla. So they support themselves.

Hurricane insurance is so expensive in Fla that many go without it - Link. If you don't want to donate to help these people then you don't have to - just like you are not forced to donate to help the victims of 9/11 or the victims of California earthquakes and forest fires.

Just curious - are you saying that nobody should live in Fla? Should people live in California? What do you mean by "living in harms way"?

So there's only one company that provides hurricane insurance and that one company only provides hurricane insurance and no other insurance? Otherwise, insurance companies are giant conglomerates that usually stretch nationwide and offer auto, homeowner's, motorcycle, flood, fire, hurricane insurance and probably more. They have to pay $4 billion or so to these people. That hurts their bottomline. It would be the same thing if someone had a $4 billion car and wrecked it. Maybe they'll raise rates more on hurricane insurance, but they'll probably look to make money elsewhere as well.

Also, the country is pouring resources like the Red Cross, National Guard, Charities, etc to help these people out. How about the starving kids? Why not donate money to them instead of some Floridian who chose to build his/her house on a hurricane magnet.

I'm not saying that no one should live in Florida. If they want to, that's fine. If they can't afford hurricane insurance, don't live there though! If they can't afford hurricane insurance, choose to live there, tempt fate and lose, I have no sympathy for them because they were dumb.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby andus » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:10 pm

It's official, nfl.com:

BREAKING NEWS
Titans-Dolphins game moved to Saturday
The possible threat of Hurricane Ivan to the South Florida area has forced the NFL to move the Titans-Dolphins game to 1 p.m. ET on Saturday.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby D-man420 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:11 pm

BrutallyHuge,

Dude I live in Miami and I wouldn't even think of moving somewhere else. Theres pretty much risk anywhere you live. Cali has the earthquakes and the midwest has tornados.
I'll take a hurricane any day of the week to those two. At least you sometime to prepare.
If living in Florida is so bad why is it that millions of people come visit us every year. not to mention all the Jets fans who have bailed out form N.Y to bask in our warm sun. We Floridians are strong people and we will prevail from whatever mother nature blows our way. I just hope nothing like Ivan ever comes your way. not to sure if you would be able to handle it......
"I always tell the truth, even when I lie"
D-man420
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:22 pm

D-man420 wrote: If living in Florida is so bad why is it that millions of people come visit us every year. not to mention all the Jets fans who have bailed out form N.Y to bask in our warm sun. We Floridians are strong people and we will prevail from whatever mother nature blows our way. I just hope nothing like Ivan ever comes your way. not to sure if you would be able to handle it......

I'm not saying it's bad. But if you live there and don't have hurricane insurance and then a hurricane destroys your house, i don't want to hear any whining! All over the news I hear people whining and whining about the hurricane. It's inevitable.

I'm sure it's lovely down there. If I lived there and decided to tempt fate by not purchasing insurance, I wouldn't expect anyone to help me if I lost my house. It would be my own frugality that doomed me.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shpuck » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:42 pm

bungle613 wrote:This has been the worst hurricane season I can remember. 3 of these things coming ashore, man, good luck Fla.

Just three weeks ago (or whenever Charley hit) I commented to my boss that it seemed like the Hurricane season started a bit late. He wasn't sure when the season actually began, but I did a google search (living in California, we don't have much problems with hurricanes-whether the natural kind or the hocky kind). I found out the hurricane season starts in June and the first hurricane to pass through the Carribbean wasn't until August this year. Seems that everything is coming to a head all at once.

For those of you who have been through these (i.e. living in Florida and other southern states where this is a problem) is this assessment accurate? Do you generally find yourself worrying about hurricanes much later this year than previous years?

Also, good luck it making it through another if Ivan hits. I've been reading that it's the nastiest to hit the south Carribbean (ever?).
shpuck
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk