hurricane Ivan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

hurricane Ivan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:23 pm

I live in the Texas panhandle, and we have tornadoes every single year. A few years back we had an F5 tornado come through the small town of Fritch, and it basically devoured it. I lived about a 5 minute drive from the town of Fritch at the time.

By the way, I know that the game has been re-scheduled for Saturday, but what are the weather conditions going to be like? Is the tip of the hurricane still going to be hitting Miami?

The reason I ask is because I have McNair, and if he's going to be throwing into 30 mph head winds all day, I might think about starting Brad Johnson instead.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:06 pm

We won't know until gametime. I have to decide between McNair and Brunell - Unless the weather gets really bad by gametime I'm staying with McNair.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:48 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Zombiez wrote:
wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way

I don't really fell bad for them at all.

This happens EVERY YEAR, yet they choose to put themselves right in line for more hurricanes next August/September. Then, when one inevitably hits them, a disaster is called and insurance companies dish out billions, raising rates for all people who pay for insurance.

You hear these stories and feel bad, but should you? I don't think so. Picture this as if it was a long time ago. If people's huts got mowed down every August/September, you think they might find a new spot to live? Probably. Yet the Floridians use insurance money to build bigger and better houses each year or every few years.

They are using the rest of the country (Red Cross, Relief Workers, Insurance Companies, Government, etc) because they choose to live in harm's way. I don't feel bad for them at all.

It's like building sandcastles on the beach or a hut on top of Old Faithful. At a regular interval, they'll be destroyed.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... The Carolina's get almost as many hurricanes as we do... Granted, this season has been bad, but lets take a look at California... Sure, major earthquakes don't happen every year, but when they do they are pretty darn bad... And even in years when that doesn't happen, the whole damn state burns down in a wildfire... And then in the midwest you have tornados that wipe out entire towns, and the occasional nasty flood of the Mississippi that destroys hundreds of towns... And of course in New England there is always the threat of blizzard...

Yes, Florida does consume some tax dollars for emergency relief every once in a while... We also bring in billions of tourist dollars from all over the world... How much money do you think is "wasted" by the federal government in farm subsidies when there is a drought in the midwest, and how many Korean families fly the entire clan over to visit Nebraska?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Sun May 22, 2005 5:32 am

Hello all,

I was just reading some of these older posts and came across this one. I live in Pensacola and we were hammered by this storm!! 8-o I have lived here all my life and remember all of the hurricanes since Fredrick in '79. This one was by far the worst. My house had shingles tore off and of course it sustained water damage which I am just now getting fixed. We also had other damages for example my truck, privacy fence etc.

As far as the comments about living in FLorida, I would have to mimic the responses of the others that have posted about how ridiculous that statement is (was). Not only do we pay a huge premium for insurance you also have to worry if the insurance companies will even cover what you expect them to if at all!! }:-)
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun May 22, 2005 6:54 am

VIPER wrote: Not only do we pay a huge premium for insurance you also have to worry if the insurance companies will even cover what you expect them to if at all!! }:-)

Or if it will take them a year or more to cut a check.... :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun May 22, 2005 7:41 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
Zombiez wrote:
wanna_be_guru wrote:U.S. National - AP
Fla. Urges New Evacuations As Ivan Nears

KEY WEST, Fla. - All tourists and recreational vehicles were urged to evacuate the Florida Keys early Thursday because the powerful Hurricane Ivan could hit the island chain by Sunday. Ivan became a Category 5 hurricane overnight with winds up to 160 mph.
...i feel bad for these people........and to think this is the worst one yet heading there way

I don't really fell bad for them at all.

This happens EVERY YEAR, yet they choose to put themselves right in line for more hurricanes next August/September. Then, when one inevitably hits them, a disaster is called and insurance companies dish out billions, raising rates for all people who pay for insurance.

You hear these stories and feel bad, but should you? I don't think so. Picture this as if it was a long time ago. If people's huts got mowed down every August/September, you think they might find a new spot to live? Probably. Yet the Floridians use insurance money to build bigger and better houses each year or every few years.

They are using the rest of the country (Red Cross, Relief Workers, Insurance Companies, Government, etc) because they choose to live in harm's way. I don't feel bad for them at all.

It's like building sandcastles on the beach or a hut on top of Old Faithful. At a regular interval, they'll be destroyed.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... The Carolina's get almost as many hurricanes as we do... Granted, this season has been bad, but lets take a look at California... Sure, major earthquakes don't happen every year, but when they do they are pretty darn bad... And even in years when that doesn't happen, the whole damn state burns down in a wildfire... And then in the midwest you have tornados that wipe out entire towns, and the occasional nasty flood of the Mississippi that destroys hundreds of towns... And of course in New England there is always the threat of blizzard...

Yes, Florida does consume some tax dollars for emergency relief every once in a while... We also bring in billions of tourist dollars from all over the world... How much money do you think is "wasted" by the federal government in farm subsidies when there is a drought in the midwest, and how many Korean families fly the entire clan over to visit Nebraska?

You may bring in tourists, but you can't eat tourists without going to jail, while you can eat food grown on farms. :-D
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun May 22, 2005 7:53 am

VIPER wrote:
As far as the comments about living in FLorida, I would have to mimic the responses of the others that have posted about how ridiculous that statement is (was). Not only do we pay a huge premium for insurance you also have to worry if the insurance companies will even cover what you expect them to if at all!! }:-)

I have insurance through USAA, which covers a large number of military and military retirees, many of whom live in Florida. There is no doubt that my premiums are higher after a bad hurricane year - the company has sent letters out to that effect. USAA is "member-owned" (similar to State Farm I think) and when one group of members get hit, we all get hit.

I have nothing against the people of Florida but they should not kid themselves that the rest of the country doesn't have to bail them out to some extent after natural disasters, which happen there pretty regularly.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
VIPER wrote: Not only do we pay a huge premium for insurance you also have to worry if the insurance companies will even cover what you expect them to if at all!! }:-)

My best friend takes insurance claims for Liberty Mutual. He told me that he would get calls for claims on hurricane damage several months after a hurricane went though - like 4-6 months after. Personally, I think this would make it hard for an insurer to believe it actually came from the hurricane. So maybe that's why it takes them so long to reimburse people for claims...they need to make sure no one is scamming them. :-°

I don't understand why it would take someone that long to file a claim - unless they weren't looking or cared and then all of a sudden found something wrong with the house and then called to claim hurricane damage. :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Sun May 22, 2005 9:12 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

My best friend takes insurance claims for Liberty Mutual. He told me that he would get calls for claims on hurricane damage several months after a hurricane went though - like 4-6 months after. Personally, I think this would make it hard for an insurer to believe it actually came from the hurricane. So maybe that's why it takes them so long to reimburse people for claims...they need to make sure no one is scamming them. :-°

I don't understand why it would take someone that long to file a claim - unless they weren't looking or cared and then all of a sudden found something wrong with the house and then called to claim hurricane damage. :-?

Well in my example, I had to

1. Argue with my adjuster because they did not want to replace the shingles on my entire roof, just 3/4 of it. Now tell me, what do you think the value of your home would do if you only replaced 3/4 of the shingles on your roof? Two tone roof going on would not be attractive. I also don't want to hear that I would have to purchase the rest myself because that is what I has INSURANCE for. My house is wroth a certain amount and I fully expect it to be made whole as it were after all is said and done. We pay premiums on what the estimated value is on our homes sos I would not expect for it to lose value after a catastrophe.

2. Argue with my adjuster about damage to the ceiling of my garage. I could see where the sheetrock "drooped" from being wet. He (the adjuster) said it was just a shadow.

I had to end up getting another adjuster to come out and take care of all of my problems. Pretty sad when the insurance companies try IMHO to get "tight" on people because they are having to pay out these claims.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Postby VIPER » Sun May 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
VIPER wrote:

I have insurance through USAA, which covers a large number of military and military retirees, many of whom live in Florida. There is no doubt that my premiums are higher after a bad hurricane year - the company has sent letters out to that effect. USAA is "member-owned" (similar to State Farm I think) and when one group of members get hit, we all get hit.

I have nothing against the people of Florida but they should not kid themselves that the rest of the country doesn't have to bail them out to some extent after natural disasters, which happen there pretty regularly.

I agree that everyone has to pay higher premiums but I would def. not say that the rest of the country is "bailing" anyone out. I also along with anyone else that has insurance have to pay the higher premium. I would not classify that as "bailing" out I would say it just comes with the territory and how it is set up.

For example, I would call "bailing out" someone having to pay extra taxes or what have you to cover people who are on welfare but are totally capable of getting a job etc. Now that is "bailing out" someone.

We can't control the weather......
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk