CB Dennis Weathersby Shot In The Back - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CB Dennis Weathersby Shot In The Back

Moderator: Football Moderators

CB Dennis Weathersby Shot In The Back

Postby DUKE » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:14 pm

I had my eye on this guy in the Nfl Draft. I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio. Thankfully, it seems as if he can recover from this. He's very lucky he's not dead.

Pasquarelli: Rating the DBs

Position-by-position analysis

Monday, April 21, 2003

Weathersby: I was in wrong place at wrong time
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The draft status of cornerback prospect Dennis Weathersby has been rendered uncertain, ESPN.com has learned, after the former Oregon State star was shot Sunday evening in his hometown of Duarte, Calif., a Los Angeles suburb.

While the injuries inflicted in the shooting are not life-threatening, and Weathersby is expected to be released from the hospital by Wednesday, it could be 6-8 weeks until the cornerback is cleared to resume any football-related activities. The fact he will probably miss rookie orientation as well as a mini-camp might drop him from his consensus second-round status.

The positive news, on a relative basis, is that Weathersby will not require surgery for any of his injuries.

Weathersby was shot in the back, below the lungs, with the bullet passing through his stomach, and entering his forearm. Contrary to an earlier report by ESPN.com, the bullet did not exit his arm, is still lodged there, but will not be removed.

Teams that were considering Weathersby in the weekend draft, certainly will want a detailed analysis of his physical condition.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I feel fine," Weathersby said. "I'm lucky. The Lord has a reason for everything and this must be a part of his plan for me."

Weathersby was said to be climbing into a car with what spokesman Steve Caric called "a casual acquaintance," and on his way to the airport to pick up a friend who was flying in to join him for draft festivities, at the time of the attack.

Police in Los Angeles are investigating the incident and hope, at some point on Monday, to have a better understanding of exactly what transpired. The attack occurred in an area where gang activity is said to be high.

Deputy Harry Drucker of the Los Angeles Police, said the incident is being treated as gang-related, but Weathersby's agent, Gary Uberstine said his client has not been involved in gang activities.

"It is being investigated as a gang incident. There is a gang presence in the area and a rivalry there,'' Drucker told The AP on Monday.

Two league teams contacted by ESPN.com said they had no reports of past gang activity by the player, who was an academic All-American at Oregon State.

There have been no arrests yet in the incident.

Last week, in an interview with ESPN.com, Weathersby spoke at length about the tough neighborhood in which he was raised. Some teams felt that Weathersby had an attitude problem, and the corner explained might be in part a function of his boyhood environment.

"Maybe it's because of my upbringing or something," Weathersby said. "I'm just not close to a lot of people. I pretty much keep to myself. It's still hard for me to trust people real easily. So maybe some teams see that as a problem. I'm just not the kind of person who opens up quickly, that's all."

Weathersby, 22, was a four-year starter at Oregon State, appearing in 48 games, and had five interceptions and 56 passes defensed in his career.

He was regarded by most teams as a likely second-round choice, but a few clubs had him rated a first-round possibility.

"First and foremost, we are relieved that Dennis is OK," Uberstine said. "This is a tragic event and our thoughts and prayers are obviously with Dennis and his family. From a football standpoint, this will not jeopardize his career in any way. After speaking with his doctors, we are expecting a complete and speedy recovery."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN.com: HELP | ADVERTISER INFO | REPORT A BUG | CONTACT US | TOOLS | SITE MAP
Copyright ©2003 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information are applicable to this site. Employment opportunities at ESPN.com.

More Useful Everyday

MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Search | Shopping | Money | People & Chat

©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Search the Web
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:16 pm

Sounds like the kid got lucky...very lucky!! Shot in the back, under the lungs and came out...damn! I just hope the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time...That wasn't exactly Mr. Roger's Neighborhood he was playing in over there. As long he recovers and has no real mental problems over this, I don't see this affecting his draft status too much.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby VIPER » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:40 pm

No doubt... he is very lucky. Hopefully that is a place where he has to go(where he lives or something) not where he spends his free time just for kicks. :-o
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:03 pm

I don't see this affecting his draft status too much

I guess it depends on what you mean by too much. If he was already pegged as a guy with an attitude problem, getting shot in the back certainly won't help alleviate those concerns...
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:48 pm

the bullet passed through his stomach? and he feels ok??

maaaan...

if i were a team considering drafting him i think id be a little scared off just at the thought...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:49 pm

On the other hand it might be just what their looking for. :-B
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Homeless » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:31 pm

Wow !! serious stuff.

On a lighter note, I see offensive players everywhere thinking they will need to carry a machine gun to counter this guy !
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kashikis » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:15 am

yeah this really sucks for this guy. to be looked upon as an NFL draft pick and then got shot the week before your to be selected. from what all the reports have stated it seems this is just an unfortunate accident but it wil interesting to see how much validity that statement holds to GM now putting more emphasis on off-field behavior.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:54 am

ya i heard that it was a gang mistaking him for another gang member.. thats too bad for the guy.. i thought he would have went to the chiefs in the middle of the first or maybe early-2nd round... but i still see him going in the 1-2 round range ..
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk