Draft Day Trades - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Day Trades

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Day Trades

Postby slowkidz » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:57 am

I love it when talks like this start getting thrown around! I love it even more when the trades actually happen!! And it is really a bonus when its a guy that I can't wait to see leave!!!

Couch due in Dallas? QB-to-Cowboys trade rumors bubbling

By Sean McClelland
e-mail address: mailto:sean_mcclelland@coxohio.com
Dayton Daily News

If Cleveland Browns quarterback Tim Couch has any fans left, they may be forced to start rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.

With Saturday's NFL Draft looming, a rumored trade of Couch to the Cowboys gained momentum Tuesday, sparking debate on radio call-in shows in Cleveland.

Originating on a Web site devoted to Cowboys coverage, SilverStarDigest.com, the rumor has the Browns sending Couch, running back Jamel White and this year's third-round draft choice (No. 84 overall) to Dallas for the Cowboys' first-round pick (No. 5 overall), veteran linebacker Dexter Coakley and either a fifth- or sixth-round selection.

There are streamlined versions. One that doesn't include Couch has the Browns simply dealing White to the Cowboys for a third-rounder.

While most rumored deals leading up to draft day never amount to anything, this one makes sense for the Browns on a variety of levels, especially since it seems they are ready to commit to Kelly Holcomb as their starting quarterback.

If Holcomb indeed is the chosen one, keeping Couch around as a backup would be a luxury. He would count $8 million against the salary cap this year. If they dump him, he would count $6 million this year, then nothing in future years.

As for White, his desire for a change of scenery is understandable. As long as William Green is around, third-down back is about the best he can expect.

Browns coach Butch Davis sounded in no hurry to part with White on Monday, saying, "We covet Jamel White. He is a terrific football player. He brings an added dimension to the football team in several different areas. He's proven his value."

White recently signed a one-year tender offer for $1.3 million that keeps him shackled to the Browns. "We're in the process of dealing with his agent (on a long-term contract)," team president Carmen Policy said. "I'm not saying it could happen before the draft, but I'm telling you serious negotiations are ongoing."

To teams seeking running backs, White's value is enhanced by the fact that this draft is weak in that area, with only one or two first-rounders projected. White entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent.

Securing the fifth pick would give the Browns two first-rounders — their own pick is the 21st overall — and perhaps open the path to still another deal. Given their salary-cap plight, sources say the Browns would look to peddle the fifth pick for a slew of lower choices rather than select a premier player such as Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman, Arizona State defensive end Terrell Suggs or Utah offensive tackle Jordan Gross.

Davis treasures draft picks. The Browns have seven at the moment, but he wants more. He and personnel maven Pete Garcia are working the phones furiously this week, sizing up the angles.

The Coakley part of the equation stems from the Browns' need for linebackers. He's a two-time Pro Bowler and a six-year starter on the outside, but new Cowboys coach Bill Parcells prefers bigger players at that position. Coakley, known for his speed, is 5-foot-10, 236 pounds, and does not fit the Parcells prototype.

Parcells supposedly is entertaining these talks with the Browns because he wants to win quickly and sees little likelihood of doing so with either Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson at quarterback. He reportedly sees Couch as a young Phil Simms and White as another Dave Meggett.

Then again, the Cowboys could wait until June 1 and scoop up quarterback Brian Griese when the Broncos release him. If they retain the No. 5 overall pick, they are expected to draft Newman or Suggs.

Losing Couch would put the Browns in the market for a backup quarterback lest they risk turning the job over to Josh Booty. Miami's Ken Dorsey, long a Davis favorite, could be there in the middle rounds. Veteran Elvis Grbac might be another option.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:47 am

wow.. i like that trade for the brownies! coakley is a solid young LB and with that first rounder they'll be able to get Terrell Suggs or Jimmy Kennedy... the browns would finally be doing something right for once if they get rid of him...you would just hate to see TIMMY leave town wouldnt u slow?! ;-)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:57 am

Great trade for da browns, but dallas need their heads testing to go for either couch or white...in my opinion. I guess its a reflection of how bad the market in players is this year.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DUKE » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:27 am

I don't see this deal happening, but it would be a dream come true for Slow. White could put up good numbers for the Cowboys if he's given the carries. The Browns would be a nice fit for Coakley.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Roseman » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:35 am

DUKE wrote:I don't see this deal happening,

I honestly dont see it happening either but it would actually workout well for both teams. Dallas would fill a couplr of key holes on offense and the Browns can cut some fat and fill some holes on D
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby kashikis » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:22 pm

this probably wont happen but it would help both teams. coakley is just a big waste of $$$ to parcells just like couch is to CLE. you are right about "who wants couch" but when your other options are quincy and chad or "jack and squat" as i like to call them.

also white isnt that bad just didnt have a great OL to work with so he could flourish in the right system. and speaking of that if the Browns took anyone but gross with that #5 pick theyd be stupid. they need so much help on the OL its quite disturbing.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Indy Dragons » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:38 pm

I could see this happening, if only because there are so many Cleveland fans that want to see the furniture (couch), moved.

I do have a perplexing question, which you will need a 10 year college degree to explain - maybe:

If Holcomb indeed is the chosen one, keeping Couch around as a backup would be a luxury. He would count $8 million against the salary cap this year. If they dump him, he would count $6 million this year, then nothing in future years.

If he is traded to Dallas, how much will he count towards the Cap for Dallas? $2 million is my uneducated guess, but my educated brain is telling me that this is not correct!!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Slingblade » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:03 pm

why the hell would dallas get couch when they could get griese?
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:30 pm

If Dallas doesn't think Huchinson can cut it, I think they'd draft Leftwich. Rebuilding a team by trading high draft picks for rejects from the Browns doesn't sound like a formula for success to me.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:39 pm

9er Fan wrote:If Dallas doesn't think Huchinson can cut it, I think they'd draft Leftwich. Rebuilding a team by trading high draft picks for rejects from the Browns doesn't sound like a formula for success to me.

hahaha i agree 9er :-D
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk