Pats trying to get the 4th pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pats trying to get the 4th pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pats trying to get the 4th pick?

Postby dirtywurm » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:30 pm

Looks as if the Patriots are trying to trade their 2 first rounders to the Bears for the 4th pick and their 2nd rounder. The Bears might do it for their 4th pick and 3rd round selection but dont want to give up the 35th pick atm.
dirtywurm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:30 am

Does trading up really make sense for the Patriots? For some reason, I don't see it...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:13 am

I think it does make sense for the Patriots to trade up!! They are already a pretty solid club, without a whole bunch of holes to fill, so trading two mid-round first rounders for a really early first rounder (much more of a sure thing), seems to make sense. The Bears have more holes to fill, so getting an extra first round pick makes sense for them also (as long as they don't waste the picks!).
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:34 am

im also curious on why they would do this. indy's explaination makes sense on the whole but who are they shooting for? they already have the #14 pick i believe so there will still be talent left over at that pick so they must be targeting a big name guy.

as for the bears this makes sense for them as well especially since they seemed to want to go for a DL, which is by far the deepest field this year, and they could still get 2 solid defensive players with the newly aquired picks.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:32 am

Agreed, the Patriots don't have a lot of holes that need to be plugged, but it seemed to me that their two first-round picks are just about the best thing that could happen to them. They have all sorts of options; going with a run-stopper and an rb, for instance, would make a lot of sense. Those two picks also look pretty good from a cap perspective.

I wonder who they'd be going for at #4? A big defender? Suggs?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:55 am

You guy are right the Pats dont have many holes but they are aging on D and a couple of solid young defenders would be very valueable but maybe there logic is one very good defender instead of two defenders that may not make that much of an inpact.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:30 am

I guess initially I thought the exact same as Arlo, but you have to think the pats have some players in mind when offering this trade. I dont know who though :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:49 am

I guess if this happened the Willis Good knee getting drafted by the Pats rumour will not happen.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:21 am

I think the Pats are trying to move up to get Kennedy (think I heard the rumor on ESPN last night). If so, they must really love him with all the quality DTs there are in the draft.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby converge241 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:01 pm

I hope they dont

there will be 2-4 good defensive lineman to pick from by the time they make their first pick and then still have another one to get a linebacker , offensive lineman or maybe wide reciever

the hometown fans around here are drooling at the prospects of trading up but not me

as far as my fav team goes= i hope boller or grossman drop to pittsburgh (in that order)

btw= the other hot Patriots rumor is them trading with Oakland to get Willis MCgahee at 31 or 32 but i doubt that cause it seems oakland is very high on him (i f i was oakland i would trade get more picks to stockpile youth)
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk