Crouch to give it another shot. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Crouch to give it another shot.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Crouch to give it another shot.

Postby VIPER » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:42 pm

Eric Crouch - WR, Green Bay Packers April 24, 8:25 a.m.
The Green Bay Packers claimed Crouch off waivers from the Rams, and said Wednesday they will give him a shot at quarterback. Crouch won the 2001 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Nebraska, but sat out last season after the Rams drafted him in the third round and tried to convert him into a wide receiver. Crouch forfeited his signing bonus after training camp last year, saying he'd rather retire if he couldn't be a quarterback in the NFL.
Fantasy Spin: Crouch remains on the reserve/retired list, but he'll show up at training camp if the Pack give him a legit shot at QB. He might compete for the No. 3 job but his chances would be slimmer if Green Bay drafts a quarterback, possibly in the first round.

Wonder if he'll make the team?? ;-7 There have not been to many Heisman winning qb's that have done well in recent memory. Weinke, Ward, Torretta..(hope I spelled that right).
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:34 pm

i think crouch could be a great tim dwight type player if he would just accept that. instead he will insist on being a qb and be a no-name his entire career... oh well.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:34 pm

he is a great all-around athlete but he should have been more receptive to being a WR. i could see his standpoint though, if you win the heisman at QB then you should be drafted to play that spot. oh well hopefully hell get a backup job somewhere.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:39 pm

terpfan wrote:i think crouch could be a great tim dwight type player if he would just accept that. instead he will insist on being a qb and be a no-name his entire career... oh well.

I agree. He may have already made a name for himself as a return man or special teamer by now. He just doesn't have the tools necessary to be a NFL caliber QB.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:09 pm

Hmmm, so now he is on a 1 to 4 year plan to replace the old man at Green bay. Who knows when he will retire. Still least he will get his chance to be a QB.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:19 pm

Homeless wrote:Hmmm, so now he is on a 1 to 4 year plan to replace the old man at Green bay. Who knows when he will retire. Still least he will get his chance to be a QB.

QB?!?!?!

i thought they were pickin him up to fill that vacant waterboy spot?
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Thumbs Up

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:18 pm

Great for Crouch, I hope he makes it!

Reminds me of Doug Flutie's tribulations in the NFL. He goes to Canada and wins the Grey Cup a bunch of times with incredible stats ... comes back to the NFL and gets no respect. Went 6-3 for the Pats one season as a starter, losing 2 of the 3 losses by a combined 5 points, and gets benched for a Tony Eason attempted injury comeback, costing the Pats the season. Now he's well past his prime but makes a solid backup for Brees.

What these Heisman QBs need is "development", and they just don't get it these days. In good football systems, these guys would mature and become Pro Bowl material. But look at the teams where these guys usually end up, and you see the reason that they don't succeed. They end up in bad football programs and get thrown to the wolves before they're ready. They develop bad habits, get injured, etc., and never materialize into the players they could have become.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:25 pm

I heard they signed him to be a kick returner. Maybe they dangled the backup QB carrot in front of him to convince him to sign.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Thumbs Up

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:56 pm

DraftDodger wrote:What these Heisman QBs need is "development", and they just don't get it these days. In good football systems, these guys would mature and become Pro Bowl material. But look at the teams where these guys usually end up, and you see the reason that they don't succeed. They end up in bad football programs and get thrown to the wolves before they're ready. They develop bad habits, get injured, etc., and never materialize into the players they could have become.

the problem is he wasnt a heisman qb... he was a heisman runningback who pushed the qb outta the way and took the snaps!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:12 pm

just to be different... ill try to make a case.. TRY!

uh.. he wont have the injury risk cause he wont play qb.. favre doesnt get hurt.. maybe he can go in during a blowout and convince a team to take him and change their offense to be like Nebraskas... uh, ok yup he just doesnt have the tools to be an NFL qb.. hey i tried!! :-o
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk