Patriots trade pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Patriots trade pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Patriots trade pick

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:35 pm

The Patriots dealt a draft pick Friday afternoon, but not one of its first rounders as has been speculated. This one involved the Patriots sending their second of two third round picks in this year's draft (No. 78 overall) to the Miami Dolphins for a second round pick in 2004.

The 78th pick was obtained from New Orleans in the Tebucky Jones deal, which means the Patriots essentially acquired a seventh rounder this year and second and fourth round picks in 2004 for Jones.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:53 pm

Ahhhh....o.k.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:48 pm

I think it was DD (could be wrong) that said the Pats would trade away one of their picks because its some kind of historical trait of theirs. They refuse to have two first round picks.

Have to look around the boards again to find that .
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Indy Dragons » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:42 am

Okay. Not sure about this one, but it seems like they don't have many holes to fill this year, and maybe they think they will have more next year, plus they move up a round, though that may not be much if Miami makes it to the SB.

Homeless,
After this deal, they still have two first rounders, because they only traded away a third rounder.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:25 am

Yes, Homeless, I was the one who said that they won't draft two first rounders. Even with this deal, I believe that they will either trade their two picks to rise up, or will make a future trade for one of them ... basically like they did with the lower pick. That seems a smart move since this year's draft is considered very thin on talent. The Pats are too good to be worse than mediocre, so the only way they're going to get high draft positions is by trading other picks or players for them.

I think that the Pats still use most of the scouting and drafting wisdom passed along by Dick Steinberg, one of the best talent evaluators in NFL history. Steinberg preferred top of the draft and bottom of the draft picks ... kind of a skim the cream and then outguess the gamblers strategy. He made some mistakes (notably Kenneth Simms and "Champagne Tony Eason") in his career but he is credited with building two Superbowl teams through his talent scouting.

I will be truly surprised if the Pats draft two first rounders.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:24 pm

Nice forecast there, DD! ;-D

It didn't happen in any way we expected, but you were absolutely correct. Now, of course, they'll have to deal one of there '04 first-rounders... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Pats Don't Let Us Down

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:16 pm

5, New England traded its first-round (No. 19) choice to Baltimore for the Ravens second-round (No. 41) and 2004 first-round choice. Baltimore selected Kyle Boller, qb, California. New England traded the second-round (No. 41) choice to Houston.

I KNEW they wouldn't keep two first round picks. Just like Cinci has to screw up promising 1st round QBs, the Pats can't draft two 1st round players ;-D
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk