Colts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colts

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:24 am

we are all quite football smart, we study the draft and the teams and what they are drafting, but someone help me with this one........the Colts taking (although he is my fave TE coming up this year) Dallas Clarke in the first round is beyond me....am I the only one who thinks that they could've pick up a corner or whatever b4 a TE, I am pretty sure that Clarke would've been avail to them in the second. or is it just me.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Nero » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:43 am

You can't be sure he would have been there...

You need to look at history to understand why Indy did this. Manning's (and the team's) best seasons have been when they could run a double TE formation and have both of them be credible receiving targets.

This is even a more critical area right now since the #2 WR position is something of a perpetual joke on this team. He just needs more targets to be able to sell the play fake and disect defenses without INTs
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:46 am

well put........I still they he and the other 2 worthy TE's would be avail in the second.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Cupertino_11 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:22 am

It's not such a crazy pick if you think about it. Clarke was supposedly the closest thing to a Shockey in this years draft.....having some speed and being able to stretch defenses is rare for a TE. Having Pollard and Clarke running routes will not only give Manning another viable target, but it will actually give Marvelous Marvin some breathing room simply because opposing defenses might have to put a safety on Clarke. And if the Colts can get a solid #2 receiver to add to that mix.....Indy would be putting up some serious points.

Fantasy-wise this pick adds value to Peyton, Harrison, and Edge.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nero » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:49 am

Let me follow this up...

I don't know much about Clark's blocking skills...but if you are looking at this year's Shockey this is the guy...

not because of him alone...because of Manning and his need to establish more targets
Nero
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Indy Dragons » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:03 am

I can't say it any better, so I'll let the experts from espn.com tell you:

Indianapolis Colts: For drafting No. 24 in the first round, the Colts did exceptionally well. They didn't get Troy Polamalu, who went to Pittsburgh after a trade-up, but they got the next best thing in the second round. By getting Mike Doss at safety in the second round, they got a potential leader in the secondary. The first round selection of tight end Dallas Clark may be curious, but he's the second tight end that this team has needed since the departure of Ken Dilger to Tampa Bay. Peyton Manning works best in a three-receiver set that can switch to a two-tight offense. Clark and Marcus Pollard are two exceptional pass-catchers, and Clark could do to the Colts tight end position what Marvin Harrison did to the receiving corps. He will get better and better each year.

The Colts were classified under one of the 'Winners', so apparently espn.com thinks they did a good job!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Roseman » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:09 am

I understand the need for Indy to have two solid tes based on there offensive system but I think they wasted there 1st rounder on this guy they could have gotten him in the second round and picked up a guy that is worthy of a first round pick and could have filled a more pressing need(like Willam Joseph or Boss Bailey) and taken the TE in the second round!!!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:31 am

Have to say I think they should have waited and took him in the 2nd round. Makes sense for them to have the guy, but they could have picked up a better first rounder.

Oh well.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby VIPER » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:01 pm

I liked how the draft is shaping up for them. Good moves imo.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dirtywurm » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:09 pm

Personally I think they should have taken Jacobs. Hes a great route runner and has decent speed.
dirtywurm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk