Are these Defenses Passable?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are these Defenses Passable??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are these Defenses Passable??

Postby SHOT » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:16 pm

I'm a rookie as far as fantasy football players go and I had to construct player defenses in these leagues i'm in. I won't list my offenses b/c I know they're fine, but tell me if these two defenses are passable:

DEF #1
D- Mark Simoneau (PHI, DL)
D- Derek Smith (SF, DL)
D- Anthony Simmons (SEA, DL)
DB- Chris Hope (PIT)
DB- Jerry Azumah (CHI)
DB- Todd Johnson (CHI), r
DB- RW McQuarters (CHI)
DL- Dontarrious Thomas (MIN, r
DL- Ronald McKinnon (ARI)
DL- Mike Peterson (JAX)
DL- Leonard Little (STL)

DEF #2
D- Warren Sapp (OAK, DL)
D- Chris Hope (PIT, DB)
D- RW McQuarters (CHI, DB)
DB- Deltha O'Neal (CIN)
DB- Allen Rossum (ATL)
DL- Scott Fujita (KC)
DL- Mike Peterson (JAX)
B. DB- Jerry Azumah (CHI)
B. DL- Angelo Crowell (BUF)
SHOT Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan05 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:01 pm

I'm no defensive player expert, but I do recognize some of the names as top defenders. A word of advice -- check to see how much sacks and tackles are worth. In the league I'm in, linemen and linebackers play the same position, and a mediocre linebacker puts up better numbers than a sack machine defensive end like STRAHAN. So stock up on linebackers.
GiantsFan05
Water Boy
Water Boy

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Rob035 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:16 pm

For individual defensive players it really all depends on the scoring system. They look average to me, but its hard to tell without seeing the point system.
Rob035
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SHOT » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:34 pm

Yeah, apparently the scoring is standard with sacks worth 5 and interceptions worth 3, etc. I just basically nabbed all the players off the WW from last year with the most fantasy points with a few exceptions (i.e., Sapp & rookies). As long as there's SOLID, but not spectacular, I've done my best as a fantasy rookie. I think I am in over my head in both those custom leagues, but it'll be fun playing with the sharks and then maybe next year I'll actually be one. ;-)
SHOT Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:21 am

SHOT wrote:Yeah, apparently the scoring is standard with sacks worth 5 and interceptions worth 3, etc. I just basically nabbed all the players off the WW from last year with the most fantasy points with a few exceptions (i.e., Sapp & rookies). As long as there's SOLID, but not spectacular, I've done my best as a fantasy rookie. I think I am in over my head in both those custom leagues, but it'll be fun playing with the sharks and then maybe next year I'll actually be one. ;-)

actually, thats not standard at all, SHOT.

There are basically 2 types of scoring for IDP that are used the most:
A. 1 point per tackle and 3 points per sack
B. .5 points per tackle and 3 points per sack

That small change actually determines the strategy of what kind of defensive players to draft.

If you really want help, you need to give us all of your defensive scoring rules.

These guys shouldnt normally be on fantasy rosters unless its a VERY deep league (14-16 teams):
CHope
JAzumah
TJohnson
McQuarters
DThomas
McKinnon
Peterson
Sapp
Crowell

You really need to look at and understand stats for these players. Sapp is never a good pick in fantasy because he doesnt do things that are recognized in fantasy sports - like tackles or sacks. Hes a great player and could be the best at what he does, but in fantasy, he's basically worthless.

The vast majority of the time, you pick defensive players by their TACKLES. It usually is the highest source for scoring and is the most reliably consistant stat from yr to yr. Sacks fluxuate pretty wildly as do INTs.

Dont go by names. Go by numbers. Go to Yahoo and just start looking at the individual defensive stats from last yr - you can rank by tackles, and that usually is the best place to start.

Im sorry to have to tell you this but in order for you to be competitive in your leagues, you are going to have to replace over half those defensive lineups.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BlitzBoyz » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:20 pm

Go to yahoo and create a private league. Set the point scoring identically to your existing league. Then filter the players by last year's stats and look at the scoring. This will give you an idea how they look, excluding rookies.

In general LB's are your best overall IDP's due to the number of tackles. Avoid the shutdown corners for DB's because in most cases smart offenses avoid throwing at them... you might look at the corner opposite such a player though, he'll see lots of balls. Teams with crappy offenses have their defenses on the field a lot of time, and thus their players get more chances for points.

You might also hit the various FF sites and look at their IDP rankings - here, footballguys.com, fftoolbox, antsports, fantasytailgate, etc. Follow links at such sites, gather more information.

In FF there is no substitute for knowlege. Do your research.
You live and learn - or you don't live long.
BlitzBoyz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SHOT » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:41 pm

Thanks for the help....

I think I kind of jumped in over my head in these leagues with defensive players since this is my first year of fantasy football 8-o, but I am going to try to mend the defenses how you guys said rather than abandon ship on my two custom league teams. In general, I've found the custom leagues to be a lot more fun (more garbage talking, etc) in the past in the basketball fantasy.

I appreciate ya'll's help on this...
SHOT Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:48 pm

Linebackers are the best in IDP. They will get a few sacks a year, a few picks and many, many tackles. Runstopping safeties are good too. Lockdown corners suck, always take the guy opposite from a lockdown corner though if hes any good. (Say Lenny Walls across from Champ Bailey)
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk