Pats' D: Garbage or pine-scented Garbage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pats' D: Garbage or pine-scented Garbage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pats' D: Garbage or pine-scented Garbage?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:34 am

I stayed away from Pats' D this year, knowing they would not do as well as last year because of the pass interference/contact rule being called more. Also, they went too high for my liking.

I didn't expect them to give up almost 450 yards of offense though. That's reserved for teams like San Diego and Arizona. Without Ted Washington, they let Edge rush for 142. That's bad.

Belichick may know his stuff, but his D is aging, they lost Ted Washington, and they can no longer dry hump WRs.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:41 am

I think the 5 yd rule is being blown WAY out of proportion.

If you want to talk about NE's D hurting because of the loss of Washington, thats completely valid and relevant, but not that 5 yd BS.

I am sort of on the same page as you BH, regarding NE's D - however I feel the loss of the best run stopper in the league is their true downfall.

This is still a great D, but they all of a sudden have a very visible weakness right in the heart of the D.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 am

Ty Law got burned a couple of times because of a hamstring problem-

Plus it's the first game, remember last year? The Pats D sucked for the first few weeks and Seattle's D looked solid for the first few weeks. I know because I dropped the Pat's D in the fourth week for Seattle-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby vdragon78 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 am

one thing i learned the hard way:

don't judge Pats defense by the first game.

i drafted them last year.
first game: 31-0 loss to the bills
i drop them, and pick up bills defense
pats D becomes the best fantasy D of the year

give them a few games.
vdragon78
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

they were playing against the colts

Postby pappymojo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:16 am

Does anyone doubt how good the colts are offensively? And yet, the Pats won. They are a very good defense. Their linebackers are like cornerbacks they intercept the ball so much. They are blitz happy and they will get you sacks. As a fan, I have absolute faith in the Pats defense. As a fantasy player, I would rate them in the top three defenses.
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:29 am

you cant put too much emphasis on the first game. last year they gave up 31 to the drew bledsoe led bills. I think manning and the colts are just a bit more offensively talented. 24 points allowed on one of the best offenses in the league, on the first night, is nothing to worry about.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby klgreen1973 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:54 am

portisfan24 wrote:you cant put too much emphasis on the first game. last year they gave up 31 to the drew bledsoe led bills. I think manning and the colts are just a bit more offensively talented. 24 points allowed on one of the best offenses in the league, on the first night, is nothing to worry about.

You should worry! If it wasn't for the two fumbles by James (one on the freekin' 1 yards line) and the Peyton interception, NE would have lose. Make no mistake about it, NE did not win this game...IND GAVE it away!!! Peyton is starting to figure out the NE D and that spells trouble if they meet in the playoffs. NE's D is over-rated. With the lose of Washington, any team with a decent running game will run wild against NE. They will not be the best D in FF this year....that honor will go to either BAL or CAR ;-D.
klgreen1973
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

huh?

Postby pappymojo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:16 pm

you wrote: "If it wasn't for the two fumbles by James (one on the freekin' 1 yards line) and the Peyton interception, NE would have lose. Make no mistake about it, NE did not win this game."

didn't new englands defense cause those fumbles? didn't their defense make the interception? didn't their defense sack manning to push the ball back during the final seconds when the colts had a chance to tie the game?

The patriots won a very close game against a very good offense. The colts made some plays, no doubt about it, but so did the patriots defense. Bottom line, the Patriots did the things necessary to win the game.
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gtabaplayr » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:39 pm

Pats D always seems to make plays .......they force teams to make mistakes thats why they are good in real life and in fantasy.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:41 pm

gtabaplayr wrote:Pats D always seems to make plays .......they force teams to make mistakes thats why they are good in real life and in fantasy.

Last night the play was to get out of the way of Edgerrin James.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk