Manning best Fantasy QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Manning best Fantasy QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Manning best Fantasy QB?

Postby zaktansky » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:11 pm

You have to admit that Peyton should be considered the best Fantasy QB option out there if you want security from the QB slot. Warner's injury last year knocked him from grace and Bulger will be breathing down his neck for playing time. McNabb was awesome at times last year, but his style of play -- just like Vick's -- leaves him prime for an injury. Garcia was also pretty vanilla in a year of NFL flavor. While I've always been a Favre fan, even he's getting up in age and a serious injury could strike at any minute -- plus he has less and less talent to throw to. What does everyone think of Jake Plummer's chances in Denver?
zaktansky

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby VIPER » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:50 pm

I would not go with the #1 qb . But he is def. top 3 imo. Throws way to many picks for him to be #1. If he can improve in that area I would give him the top spot. As far as Plummers chances I think he will do awwright. He needs better wr options. R. Smith did not do anything last year. (which could have been his qb's fault)
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:02 pm

Manning is one of the best fantasy QBs out there, and his durability / consistency is a big reason why. Most of the leagues I play in, however, award 6 points per rushing TD and 4 per passing TD. In addition, players get 1 point / 10 yards rushing and 1 point / 25 yards passing. In this type of scoring system, dual threat QBs will always be more valuable than pure pocket passers (also, there's plenty of QBs that don't have a running style of play that have still been injured). I think McNabb is the #1 QB next year.

As far as Plummer goes, I'm not buying into all the hype. He'll be better than he was with Az, IMO a 10-15 ranked fantasy QB next year, but he always throws lots of picks and despite his rep for being a mobile QB, has never done much on the ground.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Manning

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:22 pm

No, I don't consider Manning to be the top fantasy QB. He should be, but he's lacking a quality #2 receiver, and realistically you've got to give this newly drafted TE a year to develop. If the Colts make a big move before the season to get a #2 guy, Manning will move up, but the #2 WR spot and the disappearing running game are all taking their toll on Manning's numbers. He's certainly among the elite NFL QB's but he's gonna have a tough time making the fantasy top 5 I'll wager.

Jake Plummer? Last year I read an article about Plummer which reminded us that "every year" we hear that "this is gonna be the year" for Plummer. None of us bought it last year. I don't think many of us are going to buy it this year. Until Plummer proves himself, he's a #2 QB AT BEST. I suspect he may rejuvenate Rod Smith's performance ... but there's no reason to think that Plummer's play will be elevated in Denver. With the strenth of Portis's running game, I suspect that Denver won't be asking much of Plummer. He may turn out great for the team, but he's unlikely to be great for fantasy owners. It's like Emmitt Smith. I'd love to have him on any real football team, but I don't have any high fantasy hopes for him.

Tommy Maddox has to be considered one of the best available QB's this season, with Ward, Burress, and probably a decent running game.

I like Brady again this year. Yeah, he couldn't get anything done in the second part of last season, but he still has a top notch receiver corps, two good tight ends, and some guys who can catch out of the backfield. The Pats need some production at RB or they need to go no huddle to exploit the defenses they face. He proved last year that the Superbowl performance was no fluke, and I think he will be back with a vengeance this year.

Dallas has some great receivers. If they can show me a QB, I'll be interested ....

Holcomb impressed the hell out of me in his pre-injury games last year. If he hasn't lost anything, it's almost crazy not to draft this guy with all the WR talent the Browns have.

Warner wasn't tossed on the scrapheap, so I don't even begin to trust the Rams. Bulger made Torry Holt shine, whereas Warner never even seemed to notice that Holt was on the field. Kind of makes you wonder if Warner had any vision or if he was just extremely accurate and powerful so he could get away with forcing the ball to Bruce. If Bulger is named the starter EARLY, then I will be very high on Bulger. If it's a last minute decision or Warner gets the nod, I'm not touching either of them, because it will show that the Rams aren't committed to their best guy.

There are alot of other QBs I like but these guys are ones I've been thinking about lately for one reason or another. Some of the better QBs worry me because they only have one decent WR and if he goes down, their numbers go in the toilet. I like the guys who have a heavy arsenal of receivers, the ones that have the fans yelling at the coaches to start the 3rd and 4th receivers.

In most of my leagues, I won't be drafting a QB before the 5th round, so I probably won't find Manning around. I bet whoever I draft will give him a run for his money though ;-D
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Slingblade » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:36 pm

i think manning is the #1 fantasy Qb....wayne will be a great # 2 WR
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hayesb26 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:42 pm

well i cant really think of anybody who outperformed him last year?! culpeppers TO's kept him down, warner injured, mcnabb injured.. who is #1 if not manning?
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joester » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:45 pm

It all depends on the scoring system of your league but I think that Daunte Culpepper is the best QB because even though he had his worst year last seaosn he still finished first in QB fanstasy points.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:51 pm

Manning was 4th in my keeper league last year:

1. Gannon: 295
2. Vick: 277
3. Culpepper: 270
4. Manning: 265

McNabb was far and away #1 until he went down.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Roseman » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:18 pm

I have to agree with a lot of you guy Manning is not the #1 QB in fantasy football the pick just kill his #'s. The best two QB's in my league last year were not named Manning, Vick or McNabb(mostly because of his injury). Gannon and Brady were tops and for obivious reasons(lots of yard lots of tds very few picks). Here is a good way to rate QBs fantasy wise even though there are very few that understand it LOOK at there QB rating. QB rating accounts for yards/pass, TDs thrown, and ints all very valuable fantasy stats.

It is not a perfect science but it is a good Barometer!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Manning

Postby Wolfpig » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:12 pm

This discussion depends entirely on what you are defining as "the best fantasy QB." If you're talking consistency week in and week out, Manning is one of your better bets. If you like home-run style guys, Vick, McNabb, and even Culpepper probably have the potential for more pop with their scrambling abilities and their proclivity for rushing TDs.

But overall if you want a fantasy QB who is simply the class of the field every week, look no further than QB Rich Gannon. Sure, he's about 65 years old, but he has a solid O-line in front of him, a platoon of RBs in Charlie Garner, Tyrone Wheatley and new addition Justin Fargas, along with two (very) experienced WRs and an emerging superstar in Jerry Porter. There is little, if any reason to think that he will not replicate his 2002 numbers.

So in conclusion, Manning is quite good, and the addition of TE Dallas Clark may help. But he does throw interceptions in bundles at times, and in my humble estimation, does far too much of his own play-calling. Fantasy-wise though, he's a top three guy every year.

The Pig
Wolfpig
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk