Laveraneus Coles (+ Redskins).. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Laveraneus Coles (+ Redskins)..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Laveraneus Coles (+ Redskins)..

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:15 pm

What is this guy going to do this year???..

I don't know if I've ever heard as much potentially conflicting information re: any team as I have re: what Gibbs going to the Redskins will do. I often hear Gibbs will be all-run all the time, but then on the other hand I sometimes hear that Gibbs makes wonders out of ordinary QB's like Rypien and Johnson, so they must've been passing sometimes. I see some guys list Portis as the #2 back in the league, but others saying he's not a good fit in the system and to stay away from him in the top five. I hear some analysts list Brunell as a super-sleeper, but others say avoid him at all costs. He is on our league's waiver wire, for what it's worth.

The thing I hear less about Washington is how all this affects Coles, who I drafted in the third round and I hope was a good pick. The only thing I tend to hear often about him is that he has some kind of foot injury, but he played with it last year and did OK, so people tend to even be divided on whether it has any significance at all.

Anybody have any thoughts on what to expect out of this guy??.. I also have Steve Smith and Koren Robinson so I am expecting these guys might create some sit/bench issues for me from week-to-week.. :*)
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:43 pm

Portis will be fine this year. He will finish in the top ten and be a good back. Whether is closer to the top or bottom of that group will depend on how he fits in the system because he will get plenty of carries.

This is the NFL so there will be plenty of passing even though the Redskins will pound the ball alot. Look for passing production similiar to Steve Smith and the Panthers last year, not anything near as bad as the Ravens.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:26 pm

I could see his yardage staying about the same as last year but his TD production increasing under a REAL NFL coach. He should be top ten.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bluto » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:54 pm

I have the same concern but being the #1 receiver on a team that's big on the run is not that bad of a situation..he's the go to guy in passing situations and will preform....probably better as a #2 FF pick imo but still a preformer
bluto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:34 pm

MadScott wrote:I could see his yardage staying about the same as last year but his TD production increasing under a REAL NFL coach. He should be top ten.

You mean top 10 PLAYER right?
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:36 pm

I think he meant top ten receiver.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:57 pm

Yeah, I meant top 10 WR. Don't be fooled into thinking Gibbs is necessarily run heavy. He used to like a very balanced offense and I don't see him deviating from that too much. He's got a nice WR corps, his traditional veteran, retread QB and a nice RB.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tyr » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:10 pm

Gibbs really isn't "run heavy" - that's more illusion than anything due largely to the ball control style offense he likes to run. The pass plays come frequently, but you will never see Gibbs setting up the skins in a shotgun formation, and you will very rarely see the skins receivers running posts or other long yardage routes, unless it's to take some heat off of a secondary.

I think the misconception comes largely from Gibbs' lack of spectacular pass plays. He's never tried to make one of his quarterbacks go for a Steve Young or Joe Montana or John Elway or Dan Marino type showing - he focuses on nickle and diming through the air, moving the chains slow and steady and eating clock instead of firing off 20 and 30 yard bombs.

Gibbs has spectacular talent on his team this year. More than any other year he's ever coached I think. Even with his injury, Coles and Portis should have tremendous years - both in the top 7 of their respective positions, and Brunell will have a solid if unspectacular year. Bugel and Gibbs can and will change this team's production rapidly and for the better. ;-D
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:08 pm

Art Monk would probably argue that Gibbs isn't always run heavy! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:20 pm

MadScott wrote:under a REAL NFL coach.

Hush you.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk