Browns pump up contract offer to White - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns pump up contract offer to White

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns pump up contract offer to White

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:45 am

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns increased their contract offer Monday to running back Jamel White, hoping he will sign a long-term deal to remain with the club.

Last week, the Browns offered White a four-year package with an unspecified signing bonus. White's agent, Josh Wright, confirmed the Browns had made a new offer, but did not provide any details.

The restricted free agent recently signed a $1.3 million tender offer from the Browns, who would like to keep White for more than one season.

White expressed disappointment with the Browns' initial offer. He was convinced the team would try to trade him during the NFL draft.

The Browns selected running back Lee Suggs in the fourth round Sunday, but the former Virginia Tech star is expected to miss his rookie season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:23 am

IMO they need to keep White at least for this year. With Suggs going for surgery and a piss poor backup in Jackson, they need White to fill in any gaps should Green get injured (knock on wood). I like the idea of trading one of their RBs (especially in a package with Couch...grrrrrr) for a decent LB or what have you...But right now, we need to keep White around just for insurance....
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

I agree.

Postby zaktansky » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:57 pm

I have to agree that Cleveland needs to do whatever it can to keep White. I was impressed with him at times last year, and think that he could become better than Green if given consistent playing time and support from the coaching staff. I also think that the Browns are stupid if they try to enter the season with both Couch and Holcomb. It will only lead to bitterness. Holcomb has the ability to lead the team back to the playoffs, and they should look at improving their defense instead of wasting talent on the bench. Couch and Green could snag a pretty nice LB.
zaktansky

Friendliness: %

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:50 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to dump Green after one year...He didn't do much with the team during preseason, and he wasn't given as much playing time that he needed to adjust to the game. Green split a lot of carries the first half with White, and its hard to get the confidence you need when you don't know what down you'll be playing. After a full week of just focusing on the run, Green came back to finish off the year in a good way! I think he is the RB the Browns have been lacking for quite some time now. I like White, but more in the recieveing end of things. He could do great in the right system, and kinda reminds me of Preist when he was #2 in Balt. White would make great trade bait, but not until we know Suggs is capable of playing. I think Jackson is a waste of space and should be cut loose or traded for a first string waterboy...hehehe

Holcomb is the best leader the Browns have seen since their rebirth! He can make that offense work and run efficiently. Couch has never had that presence, and I don't think he ever will. If a team wants to take a chance on him, then let em!! Cleveland has given him not one, not two, but FOUR years to turn into this "Franchise QB" they think he could be....what a waste of time...I hate to say it, but the Bungles figgered out that Akili wasn't their "Franchise QB" a lot earlier and did the right thing by benching him! Cleveland has not learned that lesson yet, but I think Holcomb has kinda opened their eyes just a little bit...Enough so Davis, Policy and Company can see what the future could hold for a "Couch-less" team. Get rid of that dumbass Timmm-mmmayyy and move on with the game! He's wasted too much of our time and money!!

To quote the late Owen Hart..."Enough is enough and its time for a change!!"
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:52 pm

Oh...and by the by...I heard through the grapevine that Jamir Miller will be finding his way back to the Browns Defense as early as this week...Stay tuned for more details...hehehe
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Slingblade » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:26 pm

i really like white...i think he could start fo a team
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Homeless » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:07 pm

White is one lucky pup. a shortage of decent RB's means he now stands out as a decent pick for several teams. He isnt very good, just happens to be playing football at the right time.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to Football Talk