Put the crack pipe down! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Put the crack pipe down!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Put the crack pipe down!

Postby e-man » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:44 am

I just looked at the McNair Gannon thread. The defense always seems to have the upper hand the first few weeks. I would suggest to all owners that you make no changes to your lineup based on the first two weeks of play.

Sit back watch the games, and relax. So many of today's big time players do not want to play until the season starts. This is why the offense seems to lag behind.

If you were making millions of dollars would you want to get hurt in a game that had no meaning........

Former David Boston owners this does not apply to you!!!!
e-man
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 179
Joined: 7 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tyr » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:03 am

So many of today's big time players do not want to play until the season starts. This is why the offense seems to lag behind.


So... the season doesn't start until week 3, which is why McNair played very sub-par the other day? :-?

I always thought the 16 game season lasted for 16 games.. and that playing well throughout was a good thing. I guess a 14 game season would be good for an Atlanta fan, though. That way Vick will only miss 7 games, instead of 9.
Image
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 762
Joined: 5 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: NH

Postby i_am_the_one » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:17 am

Coming from a redskins fan one has little room to talk about vick and the falcons. I am sorry Joe Gibbs will not make this team better......
i_am_the_one
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 152
Joined: 1 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikey » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:22 am

i_am_the_one wrote:Coming from a redskins fan one has little room to talk about vick and the falcons. I am sorry Joe Gibbs will not make this team better......


Are you suggesting that a Hall of Fame coach who has three Super Bowl titles isn't a better NFL coach than Steve Spurrier?

I'm not saying the 'Skins are going to the Super Bowl (or even to the playoffs) this year, but to suggest that Gibbs doesn't make the team better seems misinformed.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 837
Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:39 am

I think that a very big part of managing a winning fantasy football team is the ability to look at a player's performance in one game and determine whether it is (a) reflective of a greater trend or (b) sort of a fluke, or a one-time thing. This is the whole point. This is where skill comes into play in fantasy sports.

Anyone can draft Priest Holmes first and avoid Tommy Maddox altogether, but what if David Carr throws for 350 and 4 during Week 1? Does that mean pick him up off the wire if he's available or trade for him? Or what if Ahman Green rushes for 60 yards on 18 carries and no scores? Does that mean he's a second-rate fantasy back all of a sudden?

Another case in point: Edge. He rushed for 142, but fumbled twice. It's my hunch that he'll put up similar rushing numbers through out the season, though not necessarily 140 every week; and that he may well go the entire season without fumbling twice in a game again.

That's the thing with fantasy football. One must separate the wheat from the chaff.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 1687
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle

Postby mikey » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:45 am

Wesley Walker wrote:I think that a very big part of managing a winning fantasy football team is the ability to look at a player's performance in one game and determine whether it is (a) reflective of a greater trend or (b) sort of a fluke, or a one-time thing. This is the whole point. This is where skill comes into play in fantasy sports.

Anyone can draft Priest Holmes first and avoid Tommy Maddox altogether, but what if David Carr throws for 350 and 4 during Week 1? Does that mean pick him up off the wire if he's available or trade for him? Or what if Ahman Green rushes for 60 yards on 18 carries and no scores? Does that mean he's a second-rate fantasy back all of a sudden?

Another case in point: Edge. He rushed for 142, but fumbled twice. It's my hunch that he'll put up similar rushing numbers through out the season, though not necessarily 140 every week; and that he may well go the entire season without fumbling twice in a game again.

That's the thing with fantasy football. One must separate the wheat from the chaff.


Well said.

It's been my experience that discerning trends versus freak performances is difficult, but your ability to recognize them will make all the difference if you want to win your league.

That said, I took a pass on Anquan Boldin after week 1 last year and he went on to catch 101 balls on the season.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 837
Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:52 am

That said, I took a pass on Anquan Boldin after week 1 last year and he went on to catch 101 balls on the season.


with you there bro :-t

Trends are the most important thing to follow in ff, besides injury. They can make or break your team...
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Image

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2348
Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Going for Two...

Re: Put the crack pipe down!

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:00 am

e-man wrote:I just looked at the McNair Gannon thread. The defense always seems to have the upper hand the first few weeks. I would suggest to all owners that you make no changes to your lineup based on the first two weeks of play.

Sit back watch the games, and relax. So many of today's big time players do not want to play until the season starts. This is why the offense seems to lag behind.

If you were making millions of dollars would you want to get hurt in a game that had no meaning........

Former David Boston owners this does not apply to you!!!!


I agree that it seems like the Titans knew they had the game won early and, so, weren't going to risk turning the ball over or putting Chris Brown back out there.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 1687
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle

Postby emaja » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:07 am

creamdoorthirtyniner wrote:
That said, I took a pass on Anquan Boldin after week 1 last year and he went on to catch 101 balls on the season.


with you there bro :-t

Trends are the most important thing to follow in ff, besides injury. They can make or break your team...


Rookie WR's will always scare me, since even second and third year WR's are often gambles.

That said, I did draft Lee Evans late and took a flyer on Roy Williams in another league also. Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to see if I made the right guesses.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1978
Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...


Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:48 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact