STOP BASHING BARLOW! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

STOP BASHING BARLOW!

Moderator: Football Moderators

STOP BASHING BARLOW!

Postby cwhitty » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:31 pm

First of all the guy is awesome. He was playing without one of the top 2 or 3 fullbacks in the league. That, in itself, is already affecting Duece MCallister. I don't see any posts about MCallister being overhyped. Fullbacks play an extremely important role in the success of most backs. The 49ers did though establish some form of a passing game with Barlow not having tons of success. This, in the long run, will be great for Barlow owners. A month from now the fact that Beasley was out and Barlow having a bad game will have been the main factor in the passing game gaining some crediblity, although only a little. Don't worry about Barlow he'll be just fine.
cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Barlow Bashing

Postby kyle2270 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:38 pm

I hope you are correct. But Atlanta's D is not all that good. I figured Barlow would be in more of the passing game, but 1 catch what was up with that?? I am not sold, I will be debating Thomas Jones or C. Brown or Barlow all week. Any inside help on that?
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son.
kyle2270
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cwhitty » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Check frequently on the status of Fred Beasley. Once he is back in there everything should be fine. Not perfect but fine.
cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jaabroonii » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:53 pm

Thats true, the fullback plays a HUGE role in a RB's success. And Barlow was running behind him all year. And when you change a routine it can affect many things. Such as the running game. So yea once Beasly is back Barlow should be good, because remember. Barlow is no LT.
jaabroonii
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby rohbshop » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:57 pm

you've got to be kidding me if you think Beasley will make a difference. It has more to do with the Oline, the threat of the rest of the offense, especially the passing game which will stretch the defense and help the offensive line open up holes. That said Atlanta is a solid defense, but Barlow is still way overrated, and was way overrated in most of the guides. Its a shame people fell for it, but dont kid yourself, Barlow is not going to be anywhere near the top fantasy backs this year. If you have him, i'd reccomend trading him to someone that thinks your overeacting after week 1, and try and get equal draft or close value to him for a player you like.

I just wouldnt bet on SF's offense scoring too many TD's or being able to sustain too many drives to give Barlow the yardage or TD's the other top RB's on good teams will get.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cwhitty » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:02 pm

Anyone who truly believes that a fullback has very little to do with the success of a running back obviously knows very little about the actual game of football. Remember Roger Craig? He was a good RB for the 49ers back in the day. Tom Rathman, the fullback, made him extremely productive. The list of RB who owe a ton of their success to their fullbacks goes on and on. This was just the first one that popped into my mind.
cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:13 pm

I think you have to look at the entire picture, cwhitty.

I completely agree that the loss of Beasley is a huge blow to Barlow. However, you cant look at the situation and say Barlow had a bad game because they didnt have Beasley. You have to look at what else they didnt have too. They didnt have TO keeping the defense honest. They didnt have Garcia scrambling and creating havoc. They didnt have an Oline that opened up holes for him. They didnt have a defense that held the opponents in check so that the offense could sustain a running game. All of this stuff matters, you cant simply think that the return of Beasley will correct all of their faults, right? Sure Barlow will put up numbers slightly better when he gets his probowl FB back, but the point remains that for fantasy purposes he was way overpriced heading into the season. How can you say he was not overpriced when guys like CBrown, Griffin, and CMart could all have been drafted at a minimum of 2 rds after Barlow was taken in most drafts?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rohbshop » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:28 pm

heh, we'll let the season spell it out. Trust me, Beasley isnt going to make Barlow a star, your way overemphasizing the FB position. Even if Beasley were the best FB in the NFL, which he isnt, you'd never convince me he was the reason why Barlow didnt run for a 100+ and a few scores the last game.

Your basically just looking for an excuse to hold on to the overhyped player you drafted. Coming from someone whos played Fantasy Football for 9+ years, and yeah we used to do it manually before all the programs or services came out, take my word for it. Alot of Fantasy is based on the situation of the player, and Barlows situation dictates he wont be nearly as great as some believe unless SF surprises everyone which is unlikely.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 pm

Anyone who thinks Beasley isn't the best FB in the NFL is dead wrong or looking to start an arguement. All the same, the loss of Beasley was not the reason Barlow was so bad, the o-line is horrendous. Had Beasley been in there Barlow would have had a better game, but I don't know how he'll play after seeing such a poor performance vs. a pathetic run defence.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rohbshop » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:56 pm

trust me man, the last thing i want to do is get into a pointless argument. And i'm probably getting too into it right now since i'm bothering to respond, its just frustrating to see blind faith in things that arent going to happen, or worse excuses and "it will happen next time when so and so comes back".

Anyhow, i need to not care who takes what or who thinks someone is going to be great and let them do what they want to do. I mean why do i care if someone gets bad advice or advice based on very little to no support? I agree i'm stupid for caring :p Its just so damn hard sometimes not to respond when reading this forum.

Ok, i'm done, no more Barlow bashing from me. Feel free to take him, hope he works out for ya when Beasley gets back :-b
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk